In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HI Y'all

PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
I've been lurking for a while, finally decided to register and make my myself known!

Looks like a pretty good place here, typical family.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Everyone- I don't know how I missed this site, but was only told about it a couple of months ago. I've been lurkin' for awhile, and thought I'd say hello. WOW, what a bunch of knowledgeable members!!!. Don't know how much I can reply since the answers come in so fast.
    No one in my family owned a gun but I somehow got my very first job in a gunshop at age 14 in 1961.I thank my Dad {RIP}for the research he must have done in his selection of a used M.61 Winchester I received as my first real gun[first was a M25 Daisy pump] Worked there for 8 years until graduating from college. I spent a few years growing up, then got an FFl in 1980, and kept it for 15 years. California was[and is] an unfriendly place for dealers, so I finally dropped it. Funny. I never had any worry with ATF, but was always concerned with tripping up with Calif. DOJ.
    The 60's was a great time for collecting, and being in the gun world!!!I remember trips to Ye Old Western Hunter in Culver City and Golden State Arms in Pasadena[ They had surplus bbled actions imbedded in the concrete sidewalk for decoration].Both displayed and sold bayonets in 5gal paint cans, and you could search the trashbins for slings and other leathergoods since they had little value. Garand and Mannlicher-Steyr clips were free for the asking.I bought a .577 Snyder Enfield for $20 and they gave me 5 rounds of ammo. Sam Cummings was still involved in Interarms, and I asked him personnally to send me an unfired Persion Mauser Carbine, with all markings and numbers in Farsi.At the Disneyland Gunshow you could buy unfired 1948 Fn-Fal's and Remington or Westinghouse Moisin-Nagants. Japanese rifles still had the monopods.British No.1Mk4 Bayonets were sold as tent stakes.I purchased[or at least my Dad did since I was underage]an unfired, unissued Smith-Corona O3A4[YES Sniper] from the DCM for less than $20.The parkerized Weaver B-4 with rings was $10 extra.
    In the shop, I remember putting the first Rem. Model 600's on the rack- what an ugly gun for the times!!When we received the 1964 Winchesters, I recall the mad scramble to raise cash to purchase every pre64 we could find.We had them stacked like cordwood.Ruger helped alittle with the 77.The Rem1100 and Browning Superposed were great.The gun I continue to shoot to this day is the 10/22 I bought in 1964.Sold a few .256 Hawkeyes, and the 7mm Rem Mag was the GoldenBoy.I remember driving to Monrovia to John Bianchis garage to pick up some holsters from this upstart maker.You cleaned your guns with Hoppes No.9, and if you wern't sure you reloaded with 4831!.Redfield introduced a 3/4in tube scope for your .22 that was the same quality as the 1"ers.Guess I should stop now. Sorry for the long post down memory lane, but those were great times.Brings a tear to my eye every time I think of them.
    My daughter is now 17 and has been shooting since age 4. Bought her a Chipmunk,and she was hooked.She has many now and her favorite is a P229 in 9mm. Shoots a 10/22, Mini-14., Browning #3engraved[1959 Belgium] 22 auto, a good ole' .30 M1 Carbine, and lots of others.I'm one of the lucky that have a Calif unrestricted CCW. I have on my permit a Walther TPH .22, Colt Detective Special[was always told you should have a wheelgun if you break an arm, and this one holds 6 rounds in a small frame]and a 9mm Sig P239.
    I chose my handle "Hangfire" since one of the most memorable experiences I've had was shooting an old Italian Terni with original surplus ammo. Pull that trigger-"CLICK" one, two, three, four, "BAM" Whoa, What a Rush!!!!-Bob

Gun control is a steady hand
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Birdman, I was tryin' to eat lunch

We only have a few special years with our children in which they desire our time, attention, and love. After that time is over, it is gone forever, and we will be the ones that desire their time, attention, and love. Make those few, short years count -
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Cute but next time how about a woman?

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pelican, are you wearing your bath robe or one of your wife's dresses ?
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Why, that's just silly.

It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gad Poop, that's absolutely disgusting.............but kinda cute

Clouder..
  • Options
    davcondavcon Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be a full moon tonight.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Can't tell you how glad I am to see ol'Pelican back in form. YOU LOOK BETTER THAN YOU HAVE IN YEARS!

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey pelican i think you need a hair cut
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey shootist, I'm a trying to get in shape:

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Where does he get this stuff?

It has become my purpose in life to comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~