In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

plinking fatality

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Anyone have more details on this?Father Kills 10 Year Old While Target Shooting in National Park Mt. Ranier Natiional Park, WA 9/10/2001 Seattle TimesBy Nicole TsongA father fatally shot his 10-year-old son in the chest yesterday afternoon at a gravel pit near Mount Rainier National Park, authorities said. The Auburn boy, his father and a family friend had gone to woods east of Greenwater, about five miles north of Highway 410, for target practice, said Cmdr. Rick Adamson of the Pierce County Sheriff's Department. Sometime about noon, the boy was setting up paper targets 75 to 100 yards away from his father and the other man. The father, who had paused to reload a .45-caliber handgun, temporarily lost track of his boy, Adamson said. He then fired a single round, which struck his son. The father and his friend flagged down a motorist, who drove them about seven miles to the Greenwater fire station. The child was airlifted to Mary Bridge Children's Health Center in Tacoma. He was pronounced at 1:20 p.m. The father was distraught and given a sedative, Adamson said.

Comments

• Options
    M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought that I had heard something about this on the radio, wasn't sure of where it happened though. It's unbelievable how irresponsible this is on the part of the adults in this situation, such a tragedy.
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Just heard about it on the local (Seattle) news. Of course, the talking heads were carrying-on asking why there isn't more regulation on firearms in "our national forests?""That's right, Jean. It's hard to believe there's not a law against people carrying guns in our National Parks."Give me a break.I'll bet those three women who were raped, murdered and set ablaze in Yosemite National Park wished to hell they'd had a gun.
  • Options
    hkloverhklover Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something seems very wrong with this picture. At what point when aiming downrange are you NOT going to see an individual at or near a target ? What was he blind firing, and if so how could he NOT notice his kid wasn't with him ? And where was this OTHER guy ? He didn't see anything either ? If you ask me, there is more to this story and someone isn't telling the truth.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    The 1st thing that comes to my mind is the boy could have gone behind the targets for some reason,and the guy was to ate up with the dumb *,to even wonder where he was.Sorry for speculating.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Weapon safety rules:1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy.3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.4. BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET.(before and after the planned point of impact.)Shoot like this and it's hard to go wrong.
    You can run, but you'll just die tired!Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, RELOAD!
  • Options
    berto64berto64 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully this is just a horrible accident.Some people have their heads where the sun don't shine. There was no mention of alchoholbeing involved so far, hopefully it was not. Whatever happened, this man will have to live with the results of his reckless act from now on. berto64
    What! Trade my M-14 for that plastic piece of ___t!Endeavor to Persevere
  • Options
    Mom MomMom Mom Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rules for shooting with children:1. KEEP CHILD IN SIGHT AT ALL TIMES.2. If child is not in sight, DON'T SHOOT!!What part of that don't some people understand?
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i also suspect that the now-famous media spin doctors have also had their sayso.
  • Options
    llamas1llamas1 Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw the video clip on TV and am very confused as to how this guy could have done such a thing. I'm guessing that either drugs or alcohol were involved or he was trying to scare his kid and inadvertently hit his boy.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of jerks out here who go buy a gun, manage to figure out how to fire it and go shooting. Most have no military training, no gun safety classes and no training of any othe kind. If it weren't for these guys the anti's would have a lot harder time harrassing us. This incident hurt us more than a number of anti-gun demonstrations. He'll live in hell now. I wish we could get to these people earlier. I think the NRA could do a lot more abouting getting dealers to push new owners toward gunsafety or handgun orientation classes.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Incidentally, it is illegal to carry a firearm into a National Park, except in a closed case.This clown was shooting in a gravel pit in a National Forest near the National Park. I used to shoot the area but there were too many creeps out spraying the hill sides with their AK's or SKS's. There are campgrounds in the area and a couple of other people have been killed there in the last ten years or so.