In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Annoying lack of info- and some tips for sellers

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I just hate it. Several times I have been interested in guns in the antique category. The sellers have an absolute lack of info. For instance, they say, "Bluing about 60%. Two small nicks, fair to good shape. Bidder pays shipping." That's it. On a gun this old (in the antique category after all), I want to know:1. How is the bore?2. Matching serials?3. Is it apparently mechanically sound?4. Markings?5. Any refinishing?6. Do you require an FFL or C&R? If you do, you shouldn't be listing this as an antique. This really ticks me off. Someone has a gun dated- and I do mean dated, with a date on the reciever- say, 1889 or so. And they demand an FFL. I know they want to cover their rear, but come on- anyone buying a gun that old probably isn't some mass murderer, but a legit collector who doesn't want to pay transfer fees.7. What forms of payment are acceptable?8. Caliber?9. Condition of specific parts; for instance, "reciever bluing about 60%, but barrel much nicer, about 85% would be nice if that is the case.10. Have marks been removed, like crests on military guns?Just my two cents.Opinions?
"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Oh yes, lest I forget. In more than half of the cases when I ask the seller a question, I have been ignored. And all this from people with numerous A and A+ ratings! And yes, I do have someone specific in mind and a specific auction of late, but I won't say who it is.
    "...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conference in 1899.
  • Options
    paul1231paul1231 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One basic rule is NEVER partisipate in an auction where the seller doesn't answer your question(s). But give them a day or two to respond. Those who tip-toe around your question must be avoided. If they "don't know what they have, or how to describe it" steer clear. But it's up to you to ask... NEVER assume. Want to see my burn marks?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got evasive replies from someone who was trying to represent a customized military Mannlicher as an MS 1903 Mountain carbine. After a bit of probing it turned outthe barrel was the wrong length and the stock was a replacement. He didn't sell it and didn't relist it after that.
  • Options
    cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought a 1950-ish S&W Victory Model 38 spl from a guy who patiently answered all my questions, even took pictures, scanned them, and e-mailed them to me! Not a one came out very clearly, but the fact that he did it made me go for the pistol. It was absolutely perfect- a gewm in at LEAST excellent condition, for 275 shipped!(this was not on GB). Just goes to show how a sincere guy with a nice item to sell wont hide anything.CArl