In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Urban folklore.....or creative imaginations

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Driving home tonight from Minnesota listening to the radio and they are talking about Urban folklore. The wildest one I remember that circulates every couple of years was the fella that tied weather balloons to a lawn chair, put his football helmet on and went for a ride over L.A, then he was suppose to shoot out the balloons with a BB-gun to come back down...unfortunately, he was never heard from again....must not have given his BB-gun enough pumps.... What's the strangest one you've heard?

Comments

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    You always hear the one about the guy who attached the JATO (jet assisted take-off) bottles to his car and put the Chevy into a low earth orbit.I've heard that story from a dozen different people over the years and everybody telling it claims to have been in the Navy with the guy who did it.
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you know I live in the N.C. mountains. I love to talk to the older folks who live around me and I've heard many stories about a Bigfoot that lived around Yancy & Madison countys. I heard one story from a member of my wifes family who is in his 70's. He said that he and a friend were walking home from church one sunday evening when he was about 15 years old. He said they saw this great big thing cross the dirt road in front of them that was 8 or 9 feet tall & shaped like sorta like a man.He said it stoped and looked at them with greenish eyes and that it had a wide flat nose. He also said that it was covered with thick black hair longer than what a bear would have. I never believed it when he told me but I've heard many more stories like that and often wonder if there could be somthing to it.
  • Options
    FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are a couple of links:This one dispells many of the recent attack myths circulating out there: http://www.csicop.org/hoaxwatch/ This site (a great, old internet tradition) confirms the story of Lawn Chair Larry: http://www.darwinawards.com/ (do a search there and type "balloon"Fitz
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I went to Flatwoods West Virginia a couple years ago to by some land,outside of town.The welcome sign said..'Welcome to Flatwoods ,Home Of The Green Monster'.I wasn`t sure what to think..cool name for the high school basketball team,maybe.Then I went to a gas station,they had all kinds of T shirts with Green Montsers,Green space alians,and stuff.Met my new neigbor,asked him about it,he said there was a space ship or somethin` come down near town in the late 50s.said he was playing high scool football when it came down like a big bright light,everybody scattered.He said half the town saw it,some claimed to see a Green Monster get out of the space ship.He said a lady got a paid trip to NY,NY for a talk show,was even paid for goin` on and tellin` what she saw.Then he said "she was probably the only person in town who didn`t see it",because her discription was different from everyone elses in town.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Fitz, Thanks for the "Lawnchair Larry" site, you sure that wasn't made up? Those photos of him hanging from the balloons looked real.......
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fitz, thanks for continuing the tradition of posting URLs . . . the Darwin site is a gem.
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you check out the Darwin sight, which I regularly visit; you will find that the JATO story is indeed a hoax, at least according to the police who should have investigated the crash.
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to put this on my last post.When I was a senior in college, looking to party more than study, I took a class in Urban Legends offered through the English department. The professor was a maniac, but he gave me an interesting perspective on Urban Legends. Urban legends are to us sort of what mythology was to the ancient Greeks and Romans. They make great stories, and sometimes tell lessons about how to be safe, etc. Also, they point out people who are dumber than us, which is reassuring to everyone. I don't know that the analogy holds up the whole way, but I think it is an interesting way to look at the thousands or urban legends that are circulating out there.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My favorite urban legend envolves an story reported in the Millville, Arkansas Journal about two local fellows who were hunting frogs. They had a good bunch and were headed home when the truck stopped. A check showed that one of the fuses in the old Ford had burned. Having no spare fuses, they used a .22 short as a fuse. Several miles down the road, just as they were approaching a river, the .22 had heated up enough to detonate, sending the slug through the top of the drivers thigh where it lodged in his left *. This apparantly caused some discomfort as he swerved the truck which hit a bridge abuttment and careened into the river where both drowned. Arkansas Highway Petrol reported that when the drivers wife was informed of her loss, she asked for the frogs. [This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 09-30-2001).][This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 09-30-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What exactly qualify`s as an urban legend? Maybe my Green Monster doesn`t.
  • Options
    Mom MomMom Mom Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.truthorfiction.com Does this mean that hanger 13 isn't really across the street?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd say the green monster qualifies along with the Yete, Bigfoot, Hanger 13, Roswell, Lock Ness,.....but Noles being able to play football, and Gator Wrestling in a smoking jacket, that's just a creative imagination.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem.,Are you sayin` my imagination is as good as yours?...`Cause if that`s what yer sayin`,I have hit the big time!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd say you have a very good imagination. (and sense of humor)
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hanger 13 is in Area 54 right here in New Mexico. I think a few posters on this board (none on this thread of course) live there full time.
  • Options
    Mom MomMom Mom Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hanger 13 may be home to the Roswell, N.M. aliens, but it is located at Wright Patt AFB. He Dog is lying!!!! It's a massive GB conspiracy to hide the truth!!!!!! The government made him do it!!!!!!!!I really need some new tin foil underwear. The holes in these are letting through w-a-y- too much interference.
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you guys have heard the story about the person who went to a nightclub in NYC and was partying with some girl. Then, he passed out and later woke up in the bathtub in pain. Then, that person saw a note written in lipstick on the mirror that said something along the lines of "Call 911 now!". When the paramedics arrived, and saw the person sitting naked in a bathtub full of ice with a large stitched-up incision on his back, they realized that he was the latest victim of organ theft.