In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1A

mdcacmdcac Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Just curious, who makes a good M1A? I've heard Springfield Armory is NG, The Norinco knockoffs aren't any better, and the goobermint won't sell surplus detuned M14s right now, and probably won't anytime in the future.

"Keep your eyes open, do your own thinking, and be your own man."
-Marshal Matt Dillon

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Is a federal ordnance m1a any good? I know Springfield Armory is the best... but where does federal ordnance stack up?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone here hunt deer with an M1A? Seems like a fitting rifle for the purpose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok guys once again i need your expert consultation. i no jack squat about M1A's other than that they are shot in matches. if i were interested in one what do i need to know. what kind of range do the have along with accuracy. how where they affected by the Clinton ban. etc. basically point me in the right direction. if i wanted to compete in some matches is this what i want and which one do i want. i looked on springfields page and there are several. help...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently attended a NMC shoot and noticed a number of M1A rifles in the event. Curious about these weapons, I came to GunBroker and did a quick search. I quickly learned that these guns are disgustingly expensive. Since I'm not interested in buying a PolyTech or other cheaper knockoff that will probably break, I've taken to looking at Springfield Armory's M1A line. I was wondering if anyone can give me some good information on this gun. I know it is the civilian version of the M14 and that it shoots .308 ammo. Also, I was curious as to why this gun is so freakin' expensive. I know the old saying "You get what you pay for", but holy cow! Also, I've heard a number of people say that their M1A's will "outshoot" them. What exactly does that mean?

Thanks in advance,
    Rory Diffin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So what do you all recommend? Why?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what is the difference between the loaded and standard?
  • Options
    Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I strongly recommend the standard model with synthetic stock.It has a chrome-lined barrel that isn't quite as accurate as some of the other models, but is far more durable. It's the model #9106.Unless you live in California, the M1A series was not affected by the ban, since it does not have a pisttol grip. In Cali, you have to get a muzzle break instead of the fflash suppresor.Hope this helps.
    Stand And Be Counted
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mdcac, check out http://www.fulton-armory.com. They have a lot of stuff related to the M1A rifle. I have one and I love it. Accurate, powerful (.308 Winchester cartridge) and fun to shoot. The gun is heavy, though.Good luck!G36