In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remote control target practice

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
I was sitting outside enjoying a smoke thinking of shooting and a thought came to mind. I know we've all discussed different shooting games to sharpen our skills, but I think I may have just thought of another.What made me think of it was my upcoming move to Alaska. Yes, I know the possibility of a bear charging while in the bush is remote (compared to other possibilities), I still would like some "charging" practice. Other than rolling tires down a hill it would be hard to recreate the speed and eratic movement of a charge. So the thought crosses my mind, why don't I go to the local Radio Shack and pick up one of their off road remote control trucks. They have alot more * in 'em now than when I was a kid. Just throw some h.d. alligator clamps on it, slap in a target, get a responsible(read:safe&knowledgable) shooting buddy to control her, and have fun. For a bit more added realism, to replicate the adrenaline rush or such, practice what we call stress firing in the ARMY. We normally do a 12 mile force march to the range followed by some RIGOROUS P.T., to induce a winded and unstable firing platform. Just do a bit of the same here. Knock out about a hundred quick pushups and get up and shoot away.Don't know....what do ya'll think?
When in doubt...."FRAG OUT!"

Comments

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should do the trick, but what happens when said motorized target holder hits a bump just as you squeeze the trigger? Might have an insight into your creative vocabulary . . . .
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great idea dude, now how about tying balloons to it for an extremely radical target! be like shootin at floatin bunnies!
  • Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll probably have more fun shootin' up the truck after the batteries run down than the target that would be attached to it.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too had visions of a .338 going into the buggy. I can see it it ran behind rr ties to protect the buggy, but then it would not charge down the hill like a griz planning to make you an instrumentoflunch. Obviously you need to work out a thick Kevlar body for this baby!Sounds fun, but I think they better be cheap!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    instrumentoflunch! hah! that's a riot. almost wet myself. If all of these plans fall into place, I'm DEFINITELY going to have to make it up to Alaska to visit. Oh hell, we know that is going to happen anyway.The PVM may be separated but it looks like we are operating very well as independent cells that can function without tangible leadership. Keep it up.
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think if I had to knock out a quick 100 puchups the freaking bear could just eat me.KC
  • FitzFitz Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah, I often find myself outside having a smoke thinking the same sort of things. Just make sure that if you do end up rolling a tire down a hill, you have a big enough caliber round that it doesn't bounce back at you and ruin the weekend.! Fitz
  • roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with BoltactionMan!!!!!!
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BoltactionMan is right. That was the first thing I thought of. I don't know if I can even DO 100 pushups!!
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals