In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ammo question

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
After reading the post by poisoned , i got to thinking, Does ammo go bad after so much time has passed?

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Know this is a loaded question but would like opinions on best ammo for the extreamly accurate(ha)SKS and the best place to buy it. Thanks[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone else have ammo for guns they do not own and do not intend to own? I looked through my ammo chest this evening and discovered I have .270 Win, .280 Rem, 6.5x55 Swede, 7mm-08, 7x57 Mauser just to name a few. I was astonished at this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took some Winchester 357 in on trade and wondered what it is called. It has a very bright silver hollow point bullet with about 6 small slits in the end at the hollow point. Seems to have a lot of punch judging by the recoil. The bullets are bright enough to be chrome plated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone shot Federal Power Shok 170gr soft point 30-30?

Is it any good?

I just bought 3 boxes at walmart at $9.84 per box and with the way ammo prices are going I may deside to buy more.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If Armor Piercing Ammo pierces armor, and Armor Piercing Incendiary Ammo pierces armor and burns, what does Corrosive Ammo do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bear with me here. If it sounds like a dumb question it's only because I'm trying to learn. And despite that, I realize it may still be dumb.[;)][:)]

Is all self-defense ammo supposed to be a hollow point of some kind? And by that same token, are all TMJ or FMJ or LRN rounds strictly for target and practice?

The price difference is considerable and I'm curious to learn if non-hollow points might be effective for self-defense as well. Although I doubt it, I figured I'd still ask to be sure.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    with the falling value of just about everything in todays economy. and with base components dropping in value like copper(scrap was 3.33 now about a buck) who thinks the price of ammo will go down too? or do you think fear of obama and his future bans will keep prices sky rocketing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have started collecting ammo for around 1 year. I mostly have things that I have bought. The nice people on the site have been sending me some ammo to add to my collection. The thing I have noticed, is that military ammo is not marked with the caliber on the headstamp. Most of the ammo I have, has the caliber on it, so I know what it is. I'm new at this, and can't tell a 30-06 from a 8mm, just by site. I was just wondering why this is?. Are, or where there any nato, or other rules on this? Why do some shells have the caliber, and some not, only the date?

Rameleni1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ammo question.

I have ordered some 9mm largo ammo for my pistol; however when it arrived the other day, I found they insted sent me 9x21 IMI ammo.

Can the 9x21 IMI ammo be used in my star largo pistol?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The last time I went to a gunshow, they had some 12 gauge ammo that looked to be about 2" in length. It was supposed to serve some tactical purpose, allowing a higher capacity. I was looking for it, and I just can't find it. Do yall know what I'm talking about?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bulk 9mm Luger Ammunition - 115-Grain Full-Metal-Jacket 1200 rounds $211.99

Bulk 9mm Luger Ammunition - 125-Grain Round-Nose Lead 1200 rounds $171.99

What would you get?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never got into the "Black Talon" ammo craze. As a matter of fact, I don't see why someone would plunk down a fortune for a box of it at a gun show but I see it all the time. People are ooooing and ahhhing over it.However, I have a question that stems from curiosity. I have seen two types of ammo that came after Black talon was discontinued.One is the Winchester SXT and then the Winchester Law Enforcement Ranger SXT. What is the difference?To clarify, I am currious about the differences between the following: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2986160 http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=2961916 http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept_id=201020&sku=67588&imgid=&mscssid=0J35HXK68HRK8GMVDHRKJ9EDAXNH72A5 [This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 01-28-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anybody hear of 9mm Largo?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So last night after my Dicks episode I was talking to a few buddies about ammo laws. Where I live you need to be 18 to buy rifle and shotgun ammo and 21 to buy handgun ammo. So the question arose as to ammo that fits both. There are lever action 357/38's and there are Judges which hold 410's as well as pistol AR's. Apparently there are some towns that will not sell interchangeable ammo to any one under 21. Guess I never really thought of it that way. Thoughts?

Todd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...I have a box of Remington 458 win mag,510 gr.hollow point...I have never sold any ammo on line.Is there any special thing I have to do in order to sell them...???Thanks Guys..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking for some cheaper .308 ammo for 'blasting.'

Question 1: Military surplus .308 that comes in linked metal belts - how easy is it to get the rounds out of the belts for use in a non-belt fed weapon?

Question 2: Perhaps a dumb question. Can NATO 7.61x51mm be used in bolt action .308 rifles?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the 40 cal and 10 mm the same size cartridge or is there a difference ? If so what might the difference be ? Thank you for any info regarding my question.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a lot of 30 06 ammo and have a question about reloading after useing. Some of it is marked on the box

20 cartridges
    ball
    caliber .30 ANM2
    lot W.R.A.
    winchester-western division
    olin mathieson chemical corporation
    new haven conn. usa

My question is when I reload do I have to do anything to case other than reload ( Special differents in primmer ect.)

The rest is reg. factory 30 06 so no problem with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What are the pro's and con's of reloads verses factory loads? ONe man i know reloads his own and will cuss any factory load available. I have shot factory loads all my life and i guess i have had pretty good luck with them. I have never shot reloads before so i dont have any comparison to judge for myself.

Dustin K. Griffin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got my first AR-15 the other day and I'm looking to buy some ammo. Anyone know the best deal for 500 rounds around?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was just replacing some .357 rounds in my wife's bedside speed loaders and I found one round that has a weird primer. The primer is indented, kind of like it is once it's fired. But, the primer is not all-metal. Instead, there appears to be a piece of metal shaped like a three-leaf clover and there is some dark brown material behind it. I've never seen anything like it, but I'm assuming I shouldn't try to use it. The ammo is Winchester "Personal Protection" 110Gr. JHP.Anybody have any idea what happened to this cartridge?Thanks,G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a rifle that shoots remington 7mm mag ammo, what is differnece in remington 7mm ultra mag ammo and will my rifle shoot both or should i only shoot the 7mm mag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just won an auction for a mak pa-63.

what ammo would you guys recommend for it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know if Ultramax is ok ammo? I've heard horror stories about some ammo and don't want to get 500 rounds of useless junk.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=323015
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know where i can get ammo CHEAP? I dont care what brand, I prefer non corrosive, but i spose corrosive will work, ill just clean it really well.

7.62x39 is the caliber, Cubslover showed me a sight where i can get a box of 20 for like 3.60 Wolf brand non corrosive or brown bear for 3.50 (thats what i currently shoot) and i think its corrosive.

Anyone know a site? My gunshop wants nearly 5 dollars for 1 box of some brand ive never heard of corrosive ammo, 20 rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anyone tell me anything about this can?
    2096057.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anyone ever use this white tip stuff. it is cheap, but is it any good?

http://www.ammoman.com/images/CZK-3.jpg

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Speer 380 90gr HP and it looks good and hits hard but on the box it says Not for LE use Not to be repackaged and Practice ammo. Nickle case and Speer marking by the primer. It was packaged in bulk 250 rds and seems funny it's listed as practice ammo. Shot some and has a strong felt recoil.

What is it and why listed as stated above
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IS 308 AND 7.62X51MM THE SAME

THEY KEEP TELLING ME THEY ARE THE SAME
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Need some input on surplus battle packs.

From Austrailian Defence Ind.

If anybody has used this brand

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Weekend before last, i tool my .45 out shooting, and when i was putting some corbon, through my gun, it looked like there was some sparks or something shooting out of my gun. Not a lot but a few bright sparks shooting out. What was that?!?

Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is this stuff corrosive? Is it worth a dern for plinking?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=195972736
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Bedbugs? Termites? Wow! That's weird man.
    There is no apology for self defense. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a primer that has been put in backwards.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I think Tailgunners right! Sounds like a primer that been pressed in backwards.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow, now that I look at it I think you're RIGHT! So, what do I do with this? Will it be dangerous if I just throw it in the trash? I seem to recall somebody saying that you should put old cartridges in gasoline overnight and then pull the bullet?Advice please!Thanks,G36
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    ked-marked-mar Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was me I'd take it to my Winchester dealer , and have him send it back to factory. You will propably get, at least a new box of ammo. ,maybe more.
    LOOK TWICE,SHOOT ONCE.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with "ked-mar"--except I'd send it back myself to Winchester with all the info. from the box and a nice brief letter--you should atleast get a free new box!
  • Options
    S&W ManS&W Man Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would send it back. It sounds like it is in backwards. One time I got a winchester that blew out the primer. Had no flash hole. Sent it back to Winchester and not only did I get a new box of ammo but a$20 certificate for Winchester products.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the Constitution!