In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Clubs?

PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Just curious as to how many here belong to a club. I noticed in another post someone mentioned a club charging by the hour to shoot. Is this common? I've never heard of that. Our club has about 140 members with organized bullseye, trapshooting, and a rifle league. The local police department gives some cash every year to use the outdoor range for practice, but they don't like any of us watching them when they do. I've seen some of them shoot, and I hope to heaven they're not the ones who respond if I ever need serious help. To the LEO's here that can actually hit what they aim at I wish there were more of you around. I think it's a bit odd that there's only one member of our club that's a cop, despite there being several dozen in the surrounding area that really should get out and practice more.
Politicians, like diapers, should be changed often and for the same reason.

Comments

• RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The club I belong to charges a yearly membership fee of $75. You get a gate combination and access to the outdoor ranges all year round. Only way to use the facility is to buy a membership. Ones that charge by the hour are generally commercial ranges, most have retail sales and training classes, some even offer competitive league shoots.
  • Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in a very good club that doesn't charge to use the ranges, both indoor and outdoor. Initiation is $50 and annual dues are $50. It's kind of interesting to shoot at the outdoor range in winter with snow on the ground. They have all sorts of leagues for shotgun, rifle, and pistol. If you did all of them, it would be a full-time occupation. It looks like I'm going to move to another state and it's one of the things I'll miss.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    That's basically the same deal up at the Bethlehem Sportsman's Club, Gordian.You pay your fifty clams a year and do whatever the hell you want. That was the president that told me that, mind you.Most of the membership is well past their 40s, so I basically get run of the place to myself during winter.That is, of course, if Old Bob remembers to plow the road so I can make it in.When I was down at my uncle's place in Conn., his club charged obscene range fees, and posted enormous lists of "Shall nots" on every available surface. One of my favorite "Thou shalt not smoke or chew tobacco on the range in the presence of a lady or child under 21". Also forbidden: using tin-cans or anything not made of paper and bearing the club stamp of approval for targets.Yearly fee is something like $200.Makes me glad....
  • songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was the onewhop made the reply about the hourly charge. We only have a membership fee of $40 per family. Than a reduced price to use the INDOOR range of $8 an hour.songdog
    Be bold in what you stand for, careful in what you fall for.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pay $20/year and have use of the range (outdoor) to do anything whenever I want as long as it is legal.At -15 oC right now it is a little less inviting than during the summer!Bonne Chasse!
  • Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    65 a tear and a gate code, we have 5 ranges and one is open to the public. We charge 5.00 per person for non-club members and you can leave and comeback.
    Remember,"your woman may not find you handsome, But atleast she'll find ya handy". I love that show..............
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    50 bucks a year. 100 yard range, 50 yard, 25 yard, pistol range, skeet and clays, shotgun pattern board, walk through archery range, indoor .22 range.
    Happiness is a warm gun
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    We have a free outdoor range that is Sponsored by the County but it is a long way to it, and they just shut it down to clean up the lead and renovate it. Also a couple of Indoor ranges that you pay to use each time with a small membership fee. If anyone in the Wichita Area knows of another outdoor pistol/rifle range close to town I would be interested in hearing about it.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dropped my membership due to not having enough time to use it, I can shoot all I want while I'm on my logging property, but was a good club. $100/year, unlimited access between 8 A.M and sundown. Clubhouse, banquet hall, 25/50 yd. range, 100 yd. range, 200 yd. range, 300 yd. range, running deer target (plywood, 75 yds.), 6-house trap range, skeet range, sporting clays, nature trail, bass pond. Clays are $9.00/box. Also indoor airgun range, and many competitions, sillouette, cowboy, all the other stuff. Trap and skeet leagues as well, trap loads available on premises, 4 bucks/box.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys have it good!!I have to drive at least a half-hour to get to anything except a dinky indoor-range (which normally has about a 1/2 hour wait). At those ranges that are 1/2 hour or more away I usually still have to wait for a shooting lane and it costs $10 or more for an hour. If this isn't bad enough, none of these places (except ONE outdoor range) will allow me to shoot any SKS or AK variants due to the potential of damage from the steel-core bullets. And, most ranges are single shot only (you can use a magazine but you have to load one round only, then remove the magazine, etc). And, no double-tapping. Bottom line, shooting opportunities in the Detroit area STINK!!
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals