In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pre Ban vs Post Ban wants

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Of all of the pre ban features that would make a gun pre ban what ones would you really want? If you had all you want would it be a pre ban configuration? Collecting is one thing. I am talking about would you want and or use the feature. I will agree with Mark. The only folding stock that might work ar the types found on the Original Ruger Mini 14 the AR180 type and the H&K. Maybe a few others. [8D]

Greg
Former
USMC
ANGLICO

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:Of all of the pre ban features that would make a gun pre ban what ones would you really want?

Grenade launcher[}:)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None of the so called "deadly features" are really all that useful but I suppose a folding stock can come in handy if space is at a real premium. Of course that depends on the firearm: the retractable stock on an AR-15 is really rather sensless since it reduces the overall length of the rifle by just a bit over 3"...hardly critical. Most factory flash hidders don't do much and need to be replaced with a more efficent aftermarket item and bayonet lugs are far more useful for attaching bipods than for the bayonets themselves. The era of the rifle grenade ended when the M79 was first fielded and then later the M203. This does not mean that I don't look forward to the ban sunseting, but I'm a LOT more excited about the potential end to the high capacity magazine ban then putting a bayonet, folding stock and flash hidder on a Ruger 10-22. It's hard to believe the way people used to hang that crap all over those cheap little plinkers a decade ago!

Mark T. Christian
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I'm curious if the ban sunsets would it have any effect on the ability to buy/sell those high cap mags in California? I'm also not to clear on the folding stocks on 10/22's. I thought that the ban only prevented you from putting folding stocks on centerfire rifles. Is it illegal in California to install a folding stock on a 10/22?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rmeyer
    Is it illegal in California to install a folding stock on a 10/22?

Yes and No- yes you can put one on, but the Ca. aproved ones are welded in place so you can't fold them. make sence huh?

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see where you may be confused rmeyer because California and Federal AW laws do differ quite a bit. First off the sunset on the magazine ban will have no effect on the 10 round limit in California. The second issue is that the 1994 Crime Bill clearly states in section 921(30)(B) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE (my emphasis) and makes no exceptions for rimfires while California Penal Code 12276.1 clearly states a semiautomatic CENTERFIRE rifle. Based on this I would say that if the Crime Bill sunsets this year you would be free to install a folder onto a 10-22 or anyother rimfire rifle as well as any other features currently banned under Federal law. Some screwball in Sacramento is sure to see this as a loophole which will flood the state with deadly twenty-two rifles so don't be shocked if you see new legislation is introduced to add rimfires to the AW classification in California. Of course the Crime Bill sunset has no effect on centerfire assault weapons in California at all and the same restrictions currently in effect will reamin in force.

Mark T. Christian
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok I understand thanks for clearing it up for me. Confusing stuff at times.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like the option to have the other features, but the magazine limit is my biggest deal. I used to take the 10/22 out and just "fling lead" and had a great time doing it but I haven't hardly done that since the AWB took effect.
    If it was higher, even 15 or so would make me happier (mostly for the pistols).

I guess I wouldn't mind having a folding stock, but I can live without it since guns like the Marlin Papoose are still available when space is a premium and you still are wanting a rifle or carbine length.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Collapsable stocks on the AR-15 are just about essential when teaching your grandkids how to shoot them. While 3" may not sound like much difference to you or I, for a 10 or 12 year old that 3" is ideal.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878<P>