In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Videotape, Uncle Give Insight About Mass Murderer

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Videotape, Uncle Give Insight About Mass MurdererSuspect Kills Himself After Shootout With PolicePosted: 7:16 a.m. PDT September 10, 2001Updated: 11:04 p.m. PDT September 10, 2001RANCHO CORDOVA, Calif. -- Now that the hunt for mass murderer Joseph Ferguson is over, a "disturbing" videotape and comments by a relative are giving more insight about the man who killed five people. Ferguson shot himself to death early Monday after a wild gun battle with authorities. The 20-year-old, who killed his ex-girlfriend, Nina Susu, and four coworkers of Burns Security, took his own life in a stolen car after a 40-minute chase that ended with dozens of rounds of ammunition being exchanged in Rancho Cordova, authorities said. "The guy's a nut," Sacramento Sheriff Lou Blanas said. "He was bent on killing more people, and thank God we were able to stop him." After Ferguson killed his fifth victim Sunday night -- a Burns supervisor -- a woman reported spotting Ferguson driving near International and Quality drives, the California Highway Patrol said. Two CHP officers and a bystander were wounded in the gunfight. Officer Marty Tapia was shot in the shoulder but was in good condition Monday morning at UC Davis Medical Center. Another officer was treated for minor injuries and released. Officers Met With Gunfire Police Chief Comments The bystander, Jeffrey Maines, 27, was listed in critical condition at the same hospital after being shot in the torso, the CHP said. Ferguson, shooting several times at officers during the pursuit that started at Quality and International, was finally surrounded at Folsom and Zinfindel after he crashed into a light pole in front of a Jack In The Box, police officials said. Earlier in the evening, Ferguson's father made a plea to his son live on KRXQ radio, a station it was believed the suspect was listening to. "Joey, I love you and I always will. We're concerned about you and want to resolve this without any harm to you or anyone else. The smartest and safest thing to do is to call in. Please call home. The call will be transferred to the police officers who have been helping our family deal with this. We don't want you or anyone else to get hurt. Please call. I love you Joey," Ferguson's father said. It's not known if Ferguson heard the plea. Ferguson held a Burns Security supervisor and his wife hostage for several hours Sunday night before killing the man, his wife told police. Authorities said they found a videotape made by Ferguson while he held the couple hostage. At a news conference Monday morning, law enforcement officals called the videotape disturbing.On the tape, Ferguson, who had an AK-47 and several other weapons, said that he was prepared for a shootout with police, and talks about killing police officers and targeting more Burns employees. "I put on a hell of a show. I've taken four victims, this should be good enough to last a about a week on the news. It's time to feed the news media," Ferguson said on the tape. Investigators said that Burns officials had notified the FBI Friday that Ferguson had made threats following his suspension. Nothing further was done because an FBI check revealed no record of violence. The murder spree was the second mass killing in the Sacramento area in three weeks. Nikolay Soltys, 27, is charged with seven murders, including the deaths of his pregnant wife and 3-year-old son. Police said that Ferguson told aquaintances in a cell phone call during his alleged rampage that he wanted to commit a crime even bloodier than Soltys'. Uncle Talks About Ferguson's Home LifeFerguson's uncle, Ned Cullar, provided new insights into the killer's troubled family life Monday night. "Both threatened my life several times in the last couple of years," Cullar said. Exclusive Video Of Ferguson's Last Hours At A Firing Range Cullar said that Joe Ferguson and his father Tom Ferguson threatened his life in the past because Cullar was learning too much about their lifestyle. "Oh yeah. Told me no matter what happens, I'm a dead man. There's nothing I can do and nothing nobody can do to stop it," Cullar said. Cullar said that only a few people were allowed behind Ferguson's home. Layered fences, razor wire and a security camera surrounded Joe Ferguson, the father and Ferguson's 15-year-old brother, Billy. Cullar said that the father taught the boys to be anti-social, to hate minorities and to trust no one. But the uncle said that despite the reclusive lifestyle, Joe appeared to be a typical teenager. "Good grades, well adjusted. Got along well with other kids. Really polite," Cullar said. But Cullar said that a controlling father took Joe out of high school his junior year and home schooled him and his brother Billy. "Dad decided he wanted his little army. Started calling him Master Sergeant," Cullar said. White supremacist literature was found in Ferguson's home along with a variety of weapons. But family members said that Cullar just has an ax to grind against the Fergusons. Joe and Billy's mom, Susan, is behind prison bars for allegedly molesting the boys when they were younger. And Susan is Cullar's sister. Friends Mourn VictimsFriends and family of Joe Ferguson's shooting victims are mourning in the aftermath of the weekend rampage. At the Sacramento Corporate Center, flags were at half-staff. The guard facility was being cleaned up, and a make shift memorial was created by coworkers. "I worked with every single one that was killed in this spree. I knew personally. I worked with all of them for at least six to seven months before I left here. I would have been still here had I not gone back to my post," one victim's friend, Ricardo Rosa, said. Fellow Burns Security employees killed were 20-year-old Nina Susu, Ferguson's former girlfriend, and 32-year-old Marsha Jackson, a single mother of three. Ferguson then headed to Miller Park Marina where he killed 48-year-old Burns guard George Bernardino. A marina worker, 19-year-old college student Derek Glimstad was also gunned down. Nick Popovich, another Burns employee, was another Ferguson victim. Ferguson held him and his wife hostage for hours before killing Popovich and stealing their car. Bystander 27-year-old Jeffrey Maines was shot through his car door at the scene of the police gun battle where it all ended. California officers Martin Tapia and Nick Salmeron are recovering from their wounds. http://video.ibsys.com/video.cfm?ID=956051&owner=sac http://video.ibsys.com/video.cfm?ID=955328&owner=sac http://video.ibsys.com/video.cfm?ID=955373&owner=sac http://www.thekcrachannel.com/sac/news/localnews/stories/news-localnews-95458520010910-090919.html