In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Girls? Day Out involves guns, arrows

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited June 2002 in General Discussion
Girls' Day Out involves guns, arrows

06/25/02
Larry Lewis
Email this story to a friend

RICH HILL, Mo. - Flatching, knock, gauge, pattern ... just a few of the terms bandied about at the Girls' Day Out program sponsored by the Missouri Department of Conservation. Held at the Four Rivers Conservation Area near Rich Hill on Saturday, the initial program was designed to introduce women to the outdoor sports of archery and shooting. "We're trying to get women involved in activities that their husbands normally do," said conservation agent and organizer Samantha Gillmore. "Also, if we can introduce single-parent mothers to these sports, then they will feel more comfortable letting their children participate," she said. Juanita Cragin of Nevada, a 4-H archery instructor, began the class with technical and safety instruction on bow shooting. Cragin repeated a credo she emphasizes with her 4-H classes. "The old saying goes `practice makes perfect,' but we say perfect practice makes perfect," said Cragin. After a short talk, the ladies received hands-on training and took turns shooting arrows at targets. From the archery range, the class moved to the obvious highlight of the day, the shooting range. Trap shooting stations were set up and under the guidance of David Rutledge of Nevada, a Vernon County shooting sports instructor for 17 years, the mechanics of shooting a shotgun, as well as, the safety aspects of proper gun handling were presented to the class. In a relatively short time, many of the women were quite astute at hitting the "birds." Sheila Steuck of Rich Hill, particularly, looked forward to the shooting portion of the class. "My son is a skeet shooter, my husband shoots sport clays and I tag along and I've always wished that I could have shot once in a while," said Steuck. "This is a great opportunity to do this with these ladies, because they're not going to laugh at me like the guys might. Gillmore said the day was a success, despite her disappointment that the turnout was lower than expected. "But I had exactly what I wanted," she said. "I wanted women who had never shot or done any of this before and the women who did show up had a really good time and got something out of the class."

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/888/public/news323919.html

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878