In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

'Right-wing icon' Weaver relays message at gun show

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
'Right-wing icon' Weaver relays message at gun showErica MolinaEl Paso Times Mark Lambie / El Paso Times Author Randy Weaver autographed copies of his book, "The Federal Siege at Ruby Ridge," during a gun show at the El Paso civic center this weekend.
Randy Weaver has strong opinions about the U.S. government. "He's a right-wing icon," Westsider Josh Cass, 22, said. Weaver, who was in El Paso to sell his book at a weekend gun show, became well-known after his wife and 14-year-old son were killed by federal officers in a weeklong series of events in 1992 in Ruby Ridge, Idaho. A standoff began after Weaver did not appear in court on weapons charges. Weaver said that many people in law enforcement learned from the events at Ruby Ridge, but the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks also changed things in America. He said that although the government is doing the best that it can, some of its actions bother him. "A lot of American people ... are willing to give up freedom for a false security," he said. "I would rather take the responsibility for myself to watch out for my own well-being." Weaver was in town to promote his book, "The Federal Siege at Ruby Ridge," at the RK Shows gun show at the El Paso civic center. He said the book was written as a tribute to his wife and son. "It's a tragedy that shouldn't have happened, and I hope people learn some lessons from it," Weaver, 54, said. He and his daughter Sara Weaver wrote the book in 1998 after realizing that although a number of books existed about the subject, none told the whole story. "(The book) is my exact memory, and it still makes me cry to read it," Rachel Weaver, Randy Weaver's daughter, said. Vendors at the gun show said many of the hundreds who attended the event were there to meet Randy Weaver, who signed a copy of his book for Cass on Sunday afternoon. "This shows what the government is capable of," Cass said. Weaver said he often promotes his book at gun shows because the patrons think the same way he does. "Firearms are a good thing if they are used responsibly," Weaver said. "Psychologically, if you own a firearm and know how to use it, it's like ... a security blanket for grown-ups." He plans to write another book, this time about "bad laws breeding contempt for the law." "I think we should stay alert," Weaver said. "I've always been that way myself. It's scary, but it keeps you on your toes." Erica Molina may be reached at emolina@elpasotimes.com http://www.borderlandnews.com/stories/borderland/20020107-166109.shtml