In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Armed self defense stories

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
Woman's Fast Actions Scare Home InvadersA Bellevue woman's fast reactions may have saved her life and the life of her young child after two gunmen kicked in her front door early Saturday morning. "Within a matter of seconds they were coming to me and I really had no time to think. Myself and my child. Protect myself and my kid. That's it," said the woman, who asked to remain anonymous. She was sharing a bed with her 18-month-old daughter."I heard the loudest noise -- like someone had driven a car through the front door."The front door was kicked in, the lock shattered."I get up out of bed and looked over the steps and there are two men coming up the steps with guns."She said the men were hooded, faces covered, and each carried a gun. The woman screamed and then reacted. "My husband leaves a gun by the nightstand for me. I picked it up and started firing."She fired the .22 caliber pistol twice and the intruders turned to run.One bullet ended up in the wall. "I think I hit one with the second shot over the steps as they were leaving."Metro police used a canine unit to track the men. The dogs tracked the suspect across the yard and up a hill but lost the scent.Police said the woman acted appropriately."I fired out of panic. I wish I had aimed directly at the chest or heads. I know that may sound harsh to someone watching, but when you have to protect your child and yourself.I wish that I knew I had two dead intruders than two people out my front door."The woman said she is concerned because the two suspects remain at large.Nothing was taken and neither her nor her daughter was injured. The family is now moving from the home.Police were investigating the crime. Police said they hope someone with information about the crime will come forward. http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;$sessionid$HPXPSKAAABV5FQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2002/01/06/nsky06.xml&sSheet=/news/2002/01/06/ixnewstop.html
Noble man thwarts burglary By the Transcript Staff January 03, 2002 A Noble man who was awakened early New Year's Day by the sound of someone opening his garage door grabbed a gun and thwarted a suspected burglar, Noble police reported.Officers said in a District Court affidavit filed Wednesday that a resident held James William Uhlenhake, 19, at gunpoint until they arrived after the resident caught the man inside his garage.Uhlenhake was charged with one count of first-degree burglary stemming from the alleged break-in.According to the affidavit filed with the charge, the resident grabbed a .380 pistol to investigate noises in his garage. After he stopped Uhlenhake inside the garage, he said, he held the gun on the man while calling police and until police arrived.Other court charges filed Wednesday included one count of assault and battery with a deadly weapon with intent to kill against an El Reno man stemming from a New Year's Eve stabbing in Moore.Christopher Wayne Towles, 22, is accused of stabbing John Followwill in the chest. Followwill remains in fair condition in an Oklahoma City hospital as a result of the incident.Jeff Lee Jones, 21, of Moore was charged with one count of assault and battery with a deadly weapon stemming from another unrelated stabbing incident New Year's Eve.Jones is accused of slashing a relative in the face with a knife after an apparent domestic dispute. The defendant told police he pulled a knife on his uncle after the uncle came to his residence, verbally abused his parents then got into a fight with him. Jones contends the uncle punched him repeatedly before he pulled a knife and cut him on the face. http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2886936&BRD=1285&PAG=461&dept_id=172355
Officials call fatal shooting on New Year's Eve justifiable By MELISSA MOORE Advocate staff writer The 30-year-old man who killed one man and wounded two others after they kicked down his front door on New Year's Eve will not be arrested, sheriff's Lt. Darrell O'Neal said Thursday.O'Neal said investigators have deemed the shooting justifiable but will forward the case to the District Attorney's Office.The Sheriff's Office has refused to identify the man who fired the .223-caliber SKS assault rifle at the men who burst into his Jade Avenue apartment.However, they issued a misdemeanor summons to the man, accusing him of criminal mischief for repeatedly shutting down the power at his attackers' apartment because he thought they were playing music too loudly.That summons, provided by the Sheriff's Office in response to a public records request, identifies him as Gabriel Bruce Kelderhouse. Kelderhouse turned 30 on Dec. 28, three days before the shooting, according to the summons.Kelderhouse could not be reached for comment Thursday.Kelderhouse allegedly shut down the power at the neighbors' apartment from outside several times New Year's Eve.Around midnight, Jessie Jesus Soto, 22, his 18-year-old brother Gabriel Soto, their roommate Jose Hernandez, 27, and at least one other man confronted Kelderhouse outside the apartment as he tried to turn off the power again.Sheriff's records say the Sotos and Hernandez chased Kelderhouse back to his apartment. Along the way, one grabbed a baseball bat, and another grabbed the lid to a barbecue pit.They allegedly kicked Kelderhouse's door open and attacked him with the bat and the barbecue pit lid before he started firing.Jessie Soto was hit at least twice in the chest and died at the scene.Gabriel Soto was shot in the lower abdomen, and Hernandez was shot in the leg, officials said.O'Neal said Kelderhouse has moved since the shooting because of fear of retaliation.Kelderhouse has one arrest on his record. He was arrested in 1999 on a count of felony criminal damage to property. He and his wife were accused of trashing a mobile home on Victoria Drive after they were evicted from it.Bonding documents show he moved to the Jade Avenue apartment just after leaving the mobile home.The charge against his wife was dismissed, and he pleaded guilty in July to a misdemeanor form of simple criminal damage to property. He got a six-month suspended sentence and a year of bench probation.During that investigation, police records show, Kelderhouse told police he moved to Baton Rouge from Arizona in May 1999 with his wife, who was expecting a baby, and his dog. http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=26939
NEW ORLEANS Would-be robber killed, police sayA man who police say was robbing another man was killed Friday night when his intended victim pulled a gun and shot him in New Orleans' Lake Forest neighborhood, authorities said. Seventh District police officers responding to the 11 p.m. shooting at 4316 Dodt St. found one man shot in the leg and another shot in the leg, chest and hand, New Orleans Police Department spokesman Joe Narcisse said. The man who had been shot several times was dead. The other man was taken to Charity Hospital for treatment, Narcisse said. The dead man had not been identified as of Saturday afternoon, according to the Orleans Parish coroner's office. Police did not give the other man's name. A department news release said he has not been charged, but that the district attorney's office would be consulted. Police determined that the apparent robbery target was walking in a courtyard to an apartment when he was approached by the other man, who was armed with a handgun and tried to rob him, Narcisse said. The man refused to give his money to the robber and pulled out his own handgun. http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/newsstory/metbrfs30.html