In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Women get gun-safety pointers.Southaven police teach 50 how to shoot defensively

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Women get gun-safety pointersSouthaven police teach 50 how to shoot defensivelyBy Jennifer Biggsbiggs@desotoappeal.comThe Southaven Police Department armed 50 women Wednesday, and Chief Tom Long gave them this frank advice: "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by six." As part of the department's defensive shooting class for women, the guns were loaded with dummy ammunition. But the advice was heartfelt and in the spirit of the class. "We're not trying to tell any|one to violate the law," Long said. "But we have to stress that personal safety should be everyone's primary goal." Wednesday's class, the first of three sessions, was devoted to handguns. Capt. Phil Cox said about 100 women were turned away from the free class because there wasn't enough room. The department plans to schedule another class in the spring. At Wednesday's initial session, Long and Cox explained different types of handguns, showed how to load them and demonstrated how to shoot them - including a lesson on recoil. Recoil is the kickback of a gun after it's fired. "Remember, recoil is energy looking for an escape route," Long said. "You want to direct it to the bigger parts of your body." He told the students to lock their wrists and elbows to direct the recoil through their arms to their bodies. Controlling recoil is particularly important in self-defense shooting, Long said, because one shot is usually not enough. "A one-shot stop with a handgun just usually doesn't happen," he said. Linda Henderson, 62, of Southaven said she knows a little about guns, but wants to conquer her fear. "I've been shown several times how to use them, but I'm still scared of them," she said. "I think I'll get more out of this class than my husband and my son showing me." Betty Bigelow, 57, of Olive Branch was accompanied by her daughter, Kelley, 21, of Southaven. "We thought it would be good to know how to defend ourselves," Betty said. "We drive back and forth to Memphis a lot." Kelley Bigelow said she wants to learn how to use a gun so she'll feel comfortable having one. "There's this overconfidence in just having a gun," she said. "You feel safe having it, but if you don't know how to use it, you can get hurt." And even though knowing how to use a gun is a good defense, Long said there's a better one. "The first thing, the best thing, is don't put yourself in a situation where you need a gun," Long said. But sometimes confrontations can't be avoided. Long said people need to know how to use a gun - and be prepared to do it. "Most people are at home when they have to use a gun," he said. "If you're in fear for your life, that's not the time to wonder about what's going to happen two or three days down the road. First and foremost, you need to be alive." - Jennifer Biggs 901) 333-2011 http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/desoto/article/0,1426,MCA_451_844261,00.html