In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To a Family Who Supports the CPSC's Misguided Assault on Air Guns

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
To a Family Who Supports the CPSC'sMisguided Assault on Air GunsFebruary 26, 2002TO:Mrs. Shannon Jonesgredpisces@yahoo.com CC:Mr. Michael Jonesdans_old_man@yahoo.comRE:Mrs. Jones' Guestbook post at KeepAndBearArms.comFROM:Angel ShamayaFounder/Executive DirectorKeepAndBearArms.comFebruary 26, 2002Mrs. Jones,You posted, on the KeepAndBearArms.com Guestbook:Date: February 24, 2002Email Address: gredpisces@yahoo.com Comments : In regards to your complaints about CPSC. I fully defend and believe there should be more regulations on "BB" and "AIR" guns in general. Why I support this is on January 19th our youngest son wanting to be out with the big boys, snuck outside and jumped from behind a tree. He was struck in the chest by a pellet gun (Daisey powerline). Less than two hours later he was pronounced dead. He never even knew what hit him. If this so called gun had a simple safety feature in it which decommpressed air after so many pumps, it could not have pierced through a coat, shirt, skin, muscle, and then into his small heart. The only thing we are thankful for is that he did not suffer. Yet our oldest son (15) has to live with the fact that he held the gun that took his own brothers life. Thank you CPSC and good luck on your fight to protect and save someone else from this heartache. http://www.geocities.com/dans_old_man/ Ma'am,I am saddened to hear of the pains your family has endured. To lose a son in such a way is truly a tragedy. I pray for your continued healing in this matter and that your other son, the one who did the shooting, finds self-forgiveness and true, lasting healing of his guilt and sadness.My only blood brother, Michael, passed away at the wrong end of a gun, too. It was a shotgun, and he was the one who pulled the trigger. You can find a detailed account of my experiences going from anger toward guns to embracing the the truth right here: http://www.KeepAndBearArms.com/Suicide1. I don't blame the gun -- I hold the user responsible. After all, all guns are to be considered dangerous -- just like it says in the safety manuals, including the manual for the airgun your son used to shoot your other son to death.You assert that the airgun your son used to shoot your other son should have a "safety feature" in which, according to you, it should "decompress air after so many pumps." But that would defeat the purpose of the gun, which is to hold compressed air in place until the trigger is pulled and the projectile is expelled. From where I sit, it appears that you are avoiding dealing with assigning responsibility where it belongs:1) Your son shot your other son and that action produced death. If he read, or you properly instructed him in, the user's manual safety rules, then he is partially at fault, and thus partially to blame. If he did not understand the safety precautions because you did not make sure that he did, then you are partially at fault for that reason.2) Clearly, you and/or your husband did not instill the proper respect a boy needs if he is to be turned loose with a dangerous weapon. Nor did you instill in him the proper understanding of and respect for the words printed in black and white in the safety manual that came with the air rifle. If you had, he'd have obeyed those rules, and your other son would be alive today. You and/or your husband are partially at fault, and thus are partially to blame.3) Since you gave your older son a dangerous weapon, you also had a responsibility to inculcate in your younger son the proper respect for that weapon. Yet you allowed your younger son to venture into an area where your older one was shooting a dangerous weapon. Though a 9-year-old boy certainly gets around and has a mind of his own, he should be made very aware of where shooting will be taking place, when it will be taking place, and what the dangers may be (the dangers described in the safety manual that came with the gun). Here again, you are at fault. The gun behaved as designed, as intended and warned both in their manual and on their website: http://www.daisy.com/safetytips.html. I understand the pain that accompanies avoiding taking responsibility for the death your parental negligence caused. And I understand your wanting to displace that guilt from the other son who shot and killed your boy. But please don't think you are holding moral high ground in this matter, because your argument is transparent, and emotionally and intellectually irresponsible.I encourage you to show some courage by facing the above facts. I know you believe your position to be righteous, but facts are facts.I reiterate my sincerest hope and prayer that you and your family continue to resolve your anguish -- and that you do it with a lot more reason that you've exhibited. If you would like to speak to me personally about this matter, I would be happy to invest some time with you by phone. Call me any time. Until then, may God be with you in your healing, and in your embracing the painful facts in this matter.Respectfully,Angel ShamayaFounder/Executive DirectorKeepAndBearArms.com(928) 522-8833 http://www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3197