In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Holiday sales see good start, say local merchants

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Holiday sales see good start, say local merchants By: The Aurora Sentinel December 12, 2001 President Bush has urged Americans to shop for Christmas presents as usual, and it seems Aurorans have listened. Many area businesses report that retail sales this year are as good if not better than previous years.Telecheck officials say Colorado retailers showed a 1.5 percent increase in sales during the 17 days after Thanksgiving compared to the same time last year. Nationwide, retailers reported check sales of 2 percent above last year. The size of checks that shoppers have written in Colorado have gotten slightly smaller, according to Telecheck senior retail adviser Ira Silver. Records show that the average check written so far this year is down almost 1 percent to $93.50."Given the economy and given the terrorist attacks, the numbers we've seen look pretty good," Silver said.He expects a big surge at the last minute this year because many shoppers will take advantage of what is essentially a three-day weekend before Christmas. Dec. 24 falls on a Monday.Employees at one Aurora-area firearms outlet said their sales are roughly the same this year as they were at the same time last year."They've done well," said Dave Anver, president of Dave's Gun's, 1842 S. Parker Road. "We see a lot of wives buying things for husbands - bird guns, hunting rifles, accessories. I'd say it's definitely as brisk as last year."On average, a customer at Dave's spends about $400 at the store, Anver said.Across town at Aurora Mall's Gordon's Jeweler, sales also are brisk, store manager Cassandra Carter said. Although Carter was working at Gordon's Colorado Springs location last year, she said she hasn't noticed a slowdown in sales from last year's holiday shopping season."I really haven't noticed any difference," Carter said.On average, customers at Gordon's are spending between $1,000 and $1,200, Carter said."It's usually a spouse buying for a spouse," she said.Candy is a traditional favorite on shoppers' lists, but this year it seems consumers are looking elsewhere for their gifts.Albert Cress, general manager at Mountain Man Nut & Fruit Co., 14014 E. Mississippi Ave., said he has seen a bit of a change in shoppers' habits this year."It seems to me it's a little slower," Cress said. "I think part of it could be the war, it might be hard for people to get excited."Mountain Man sells hundreds of different types of candies, dried fruits and seasonal gift boxes.But Cress said business might improve since the holiday shopping season at Mountain Man hasn't yet hit full swing."I think it's just slower getting started, I guess," he said.Champs Sports, 14200 E. Alameda, store manager Octavio Blanco said things are looking better for sporting goods retailers this year."I believe that compared to last year, it is going to be busier. We've noticed an increase in the last couple of weeks," Blanco said. "Even with the price of living getting high, people are still spending money. Apparel of all kinds seems to be the thing selling more than anything else."Blanco said the store's diversity helps during the Christmas season. "We try to make our store acceptable to different groups and backgrounds," he said.Gourmet goodies sales are picking up after a post-Sept. 11 lull, according to La Groceria owner Dee Pallasch."I'm pleased, the customers are starting to come around," Pallasch said.Spirits are high and selling well across town - just ask Lee Earnhart at Chambers Wine and Liquors, 15260 E. Iliff Ave."People are planning to enjoy themselves," Earnhart said. "I've been pleasantly surprised with the level of spending."Customers are stocking up on party liquor now, he said. Gift shopping won't heat up until the middle of the month, but he said he expects sales to be good.Gifts for pets and pets as gifts are showing strong sales this year, according to some retailers.Bobby, a specialty manager at Petsmart, 1300 S. Abilene St., said fish kits are hot this year and selling fast. The store sells aquariums and assorted supplies as a gift package, allowing the recipient to come back to pick out the fish."Pet gifts are always popular, though," she said. Spending is par or better with last year, she estimated.Gift furniture sales are exceptional this year for some merchants."I'm up from last year," said Oak Boys furniture owner Jim Little. "Ocotber and November were both good, and I have a truckload coming back now and a lot of it's already sold." http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2775829&BRD=1947&PAG=461&dept_id=168657