In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TEC-9 used in armed self-defense

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Another Non-Gun Terrorist Caught -- Thankfully
Subject: Another Non-Gun Terrorist Caught -- Thankfully From: nealknox@nealknox.com (Neal Knox) Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 22:12:37 EST
Dec. 24 Neal Knox Update -- I pray that there are not moreterrorists carrying explosives on airliners this Christmas. According to one report this Christmas Eve, the Arabic-lookingrecent UK citizen found trying to ignite his explosive-filled sneakerhalfway across the Atlantic Saturday, was armed with 10 ounces ofSemtek, also known as Simtek, plastique or plastic explosive. He was stopped by an alert stewardess and heroic passengers. But government officials are insisting that they have noevidence to link him with Osama Bin Lada's Al Qaeda or any otherterrorist group. I've got news for them. Possession of Semtek, if that'sindeed what it is, is of itself evidence of terrorist ties. Youcan't buy that stuff at the local hardware store, or find it arounda military base like you might find a common GI explosive. OmarKhadaffi of Libya bought a one or two of the stuff from the Germanmanufacturer some years ago; that was almost certainly the batchwhich blew Pan Am 103 out of the air over Lockerbie, Scotland. I'd wager that popping a bit of the evidence carried bySaturday's would-be suicide bomber would show a match with theresidue from the Pan Am flight. I assure you that the BATF lab inRockville, Md. can accurately make such a comparison -- perhapseven without popping any of it. Officials are also saying they "aren't sure" that the amountof "improvised explosive" (jargon for a non-military explosivedevice) he was carrying would have brought down the plane. Don'tkid yourself, and the Feds shouldn't try to kid us. It was only acouple more ounces of Semtek that blew the nose off PanAm 103. And, from my limited experience with C-4 back in TexasNational Guard days, even 10 ounces of that less-powerful stuff --which was the initially reported explosive -- would have taken downan airliner. Transportation Secretary Norm Mineta, who had the sadexperience of being forced with his Japanese-American family intoa U.S. concentration camp at the beginning of World War II, insiststhat elderly American-born women should be scrutinized just asclosely as a Arabic-looking 6-foot three-inch recent convert toIslam, flying on a one-way ticket with no luggage -- as this turkeywas. That's not anti-racism, it's idiocy. As Willie Sutton saidwhen asked why he robbed banks, "That's where the money is." Wehunt ducks where there are ducks, not in Manhattan or the middle ofthe Arizona desert, and that's how we should hunt terrorists.
Last Thursday, Handgun Control Inc. -- the Brady Bunch -- heldanother press conference claiming terrorists were getting guns atgun shows, as if they couldn't get them anywhere else. They cited such paragons of truth as terrorist web pages andbrochures which claim -- falsely -- that infiltrated terrorists canbuy submachineguns and grenades at gun shows. More informative than the American for Gun Safety and ViolencePolicy Center rants trying to link "gun control" and "anti-terrorism," Sen. Dianne Feinstein -- chair of the JudiciaryTerrorism Subcommittee -- said she plans hearings soon afterCongress reconvenes Jan. 23. She also said she will introduce legislation to call for background checks on all gun sales, wherever they take place --like a swap with your shooting buddy, or a gift transfer to yourbrother, father or son. Reason -- not that she mentioned it -- wasso every firearm transfer will go through a government computer, anecessary prerequisite for the gun registration bill she'ssponsored for the last couple of Congresses. Just before the Senate broke for the Holidays, Jack Reed (D-R.I.), in a paen to Majority Leader Tom Daschle, said he will be pushing his gun show billsoon after they get back, and Sen. John McCain says he's going to try toattach his and Joe Lieberman's (D-Ct.) version to the first "appropriate" piece of legislation. (To get a look at McCain's new Presidential promotion web page, look at www.straighttalkamerica.com.) The post-9/11 gun bill hiatus is definitely over.
At the behest of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah,there was a hearing last Thursday into proposed regulationsallowing state employees with concealed carry licenses to havetheir guns on the job. Why the hearing when Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff hasdeclared the existing no-gun rules to be illegal, and "null andvoid" if state employees have carry licenses. The only reason isto build up public fears, they hope, that licensed carriers willrun amok in public places. Never mind that it has never happened, despite millions oflicensed carriers in all but a handful of luddite states.
To coin a cliche, there's no such thing as a good gun or a badgun. One of the most-reviled-as-worthless handguns, the klutzy,usually inaccurate, often unreliable TEC-9 was used by a 55-year-old Albuquerque homeowner to hold one of two Christmas-presentburglars last week. That gun wouldn't have been my first choice, but it did thejob -- and sure beat a pocket full of rocks.
And speaking of Christmas, I hope you and yours have awonderful holiday -- and I hope there's a bunch of proud kids whofind guns under the tree tomorrow morning. My wife and I each got ours on the Christmas we were nine. Ihad been hoping for one, and was sorely disappointed that therewere no long packages under the tree. After all the presents had been opened, Daddy pulled a .22 LRHarrington & Richardson Leatherneck box-fed semi-auto from behindthe couch. It was much too big and heavy for me to handle and heeventually traded it for a Springfield (Stevens) 84-C, which I wasfinally allowed to take out by myself four years later. Even that gun was too long in the stock and barrel until I gotsome growth. Wish I'd had one of those "Youth Models" that theanti-gunners are ranting about. I'll never forget that Christmas. Here's hoping yours is asgood -- and if you surprised your hopeful child with a gun, it willbe.