In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

State Employee Gun Ban Headed for Repeal

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
State Employee Gun Ban Headed for Repeal Friday, December 21, 2001 BY DAN HARRIE THE SALT LAKE TRIBUNE A proposed rule change allowing state employees to bring legally concealed weapons to the workplace appeared headed for final approval after a public hearing Thursday. "There's considerable momentum for the change," said Conroy Whipple, spokesman for the state personnel office, which sponsored the 90-minute hearing. The planned elimination of the gun ban for state workers was sparked by a legal opinion from Attorney General Mark Shurtleff that the rule violated state law, which reserves to the Legislature authority over firearms regulations. Gov. Mike Leavitt, who initiated the no-gun rule several years ago, relented in the face of Shurtleff's legal opinion and directed the state personnel office to do what was needed in order to comply with state law. As it now stands, the gun ban is set to be abolished Jan. 1. Thursday's hearing was a last-ditch effort by pro-restriction residents to save the rule. "Do not wipe away these regulations that are designed to protect public safety," said Gary Sackett of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah. Sackett, an attorney, said Shurtleff's review failed to consider laws giving employers responsibility to maintain a safe workplace. Utah. "There is no other explanation for the attorney general's opinion other than it was politically motivated," said Sackett. "Citizen safety is entitled to a much more thoughtful and careful consideration." Others argued the law is clear, and noted that the Legislature's attorney in a previous opinion also found the gun ban contrary to statute. "It is unacceptable for state government to flagrantly violate its own laws," said Dana Dixon of the Utah Gun Owners Alliance. Several public employees also advocated elimination of the gun ban. "The concealed-weapons permit holders I know are responsible people who are not trying to save the world, they're trying to protect themselves," said state worker Rodney Smith. "They're going to be pointing guns the other way -- not at us, but at those who are coming at us." Rick Berry, a former police officer who works as a child abuse investigator for the state, said he has been threatened and attacked on the job. "Don't prohibit me from being safe and going home to my children and grandchildren," he said. But Lorna Brown, a mother of young children and self-described "hapless bystander," said she feels safer knowing public workers are unarmed. Then, if a disturbed person goes on a shooting spree, "the only thing I have to worry about is shots coming from one direction, not two," Brown said. "I don't want to have to be dodging multiple points instead of one with small children in tow." Dave Rabiger, a state Department of Health employee, declared the change raises "a whole range of potential problems," including allowing any state worker to pack a firearm, regardless of whether he or she has a concealed-carry permit. http://www.sltrib.com/12212001/utah/160482.htm