In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What The Heck Is A Bassett Hound Good For?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Dawnie has this Bassett named Buster. Slowest dog I ever saw. What is a slow jog for me is his flat out, ear flopping, panting best. Doesn't seem to be real bright either. Took him a LONG time to get "sit."

Saw a doggie T-shirt at the last gun show with a picture of a Bassett hound on it. Caption said they were bred in France for hunting.

Hunting what? Dawnie says foxes. I say France must have the slowest foxes in all Creation if a Bassett can catch one.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps the French breed their dogs like they treat their firearms? Lots of show but no workout.

sniper.gif

saddamgif.gif

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good one makes an excellent rabbit dog. They move slower than beagles and are closer to the ground scent. They generally don't run the rabbits so far before the rabbit comes back.

KC
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have asked that question about Black&Tans in the coondog circles, what good are they?[:D][:D][;)][;)]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've had a few and they were great hunting dogs. As long as you were hunting something to eat or a place to nap.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I thought a black & tan was a deer dog.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    They are great rabbit dogs. You don't have to worry about shooting the dog as much as you do with faster running beagles.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
    edited November -1
    They pretend to hunt * with them as well[;)] Same with the Blue Tics, English and Redbones[:D][:D] Everybody knows that the only coondog is a Walker, all others are just recycling machines for bad dogfood[}:)]

I imagine the basset is somewhere with those other "coondogs", the intentions was right at breeding but it just didn't work[}:)]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    It looks as though dwarfism, a genetic defect, was purposely bred into the breed.

edited November -1
    You know, you could use it for a foot warmer.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I may be totally out of my mind here, but I seem to remember that they were used to go in holes after badgers. The loose skin was so that it would be harder to get to a vital area.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
    edited November -1
    Actually, he makes a really good foot warmer, but is hard to move if he isn't in the right spot.

The Dachshund was bred for badger hunting.

• searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    The AKC webpage says that they were originally bred for hunting rabbits. Rabbits, badgers, what's the difference? Ha.
    My neighbors had one and all it did was sleep all the time. My brother-in-law has one that is a rather ill-tempered beast.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Their nose is second only to the bloodhound. You get a look at that shnozzola on him? If they sit around the house as a pet they get fat and lazy, but if from a pup you run them you will have a totally different dog. You can teach them to track anything and keep up on foot without much trouble.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Push a rabbit to hard and he'll hole up, no problem with a Basset.
    BTW, the hound that's most closly related to a Basset is the Bloodhound.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Always good for riding shotgun in the cruiser [}:)]

RoscoFlashWithHelmets.jpg
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to answer your question with a question: "What The Heck Is A Bassett Hound Good For?"

Appears to me maybe "Sloppy Wet Hugs?" .... I don't know!

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    so if it sleeps all the time i want one

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    7mmnut, what in the world are you talking about? Walker dogs are way more popular than most hounds, but I sure ain't seen that many that were really great dogs. (notice I didn't say any) I have seen a couple that were good hounds, but they were at shows, never saw them get down to the skinny in the woods.

The best dogs I've hunted with was a black & tan and a curr dog. Neither were/are mine either.
    I owned a Walker dog for about 8 months when it decided to come out of the box and chew on my buddies head. Didn't have any use for the dog after that. Still don't know what caused him to get mean like that, he always had some temper ment to him, but not bad.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tie a spoon to its belly & use it for digging ditches(or if it's a male, forget the spoon).
    Other than that, they're pretty much useless. LOL
    [^][^]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK