In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dry wall question

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My sweetmate decided to put his head through our dorm room wall last night. he put it right between two studs 12 inches apart. I was impressed. What the best way to fix it its about the size of your face

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy

Comments

• gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Cut the hole beyond the 2x4s. Match up a piece of drywall, screw it into the 2x4s, tape it and mud it, sand it after every application of mud dries, then match the paint which is most likely sprayed on flat white. Just roll it on with a thick nap roller to cover any cosmetic imperfections. Should be good as new.

Larry
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a number of clever ways to fill drywall holes, but probably the easiest in this case is to use a utility knife to cut out a rectangular section bigger than the hole from mid-stud to mid-stud, then cut a new piece of drywall to fit like a puzzle piece into the rectangle, which can then be nailed or screwed to the studs, the cracks filled, and the section painted over. Measure twice, cut once. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hire Rugerniner to fix it, then give the bill to your roomie [:D]

gun.gif
    "Those who live by the sword get shot
    by those who don't." [:D]
    [img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • LeveractionLeveraction Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get mesh tape and a small can of "Patch-N-Paint" lightweight spackling. Tape over the hole, apply the spackling with a large 6" plastic putty knife then sand and paint it. It may take 2 or 3 applications of spackle but it will work. Cost less then $15 and take less then 15 min.

good luck
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That hole is too big just to tape and spackle, you have to fix it with a bigger, rectangular piece as described above.
    As for the paint, save the piece you take out. Take it down to Lowe's or Home Depot, they can computer match it. Go ahead and get a gallon.
    You will have to paint primer on top of the sheetrock mud, get a quart of Zinsser water base, not alcohol base primer.
    Try painting just over the patch. If it is visible,after it dries, you must paint that entire wall. Paint to the corners, ceiling, and floor. Use a good 3 inch brush and paint right at the line of the corner, you will never be able to tell.

Ah, to be young, and back in college again. Never had such a good time anywhere, anyhow.

Please, headzilla, for the love of God, tell me that alcohol was not involved.
  • reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definatly cut to the center of the studs. Tape it and mud it. Then as advised take it down to have the paint matched.

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    ok thanks guys. I shall head to home depot soon then. Alcohol was to blame for the hole, my roomate and a few others were having a case race and well he won, even took a victory lap around the quad to celebrate, good times for all. O he says he is a meathead for that one

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cut to center of studs to make a rectangular hole.
    Cut and screw same size drywall as what is on the rest of the wall.
    It will be either 1/2" or 5/8" thick.
    1. Tape and let dry. Make sure you have enough mud under tape, no dry spots.
    2. Mud, enough to cover all tape and let dry.
    3. Sand lightly and mud again. Pull mud tight on this coat. Let dry.
    4. Sand and sponge edges.
    5. Paint twice with a roller in different directions.

My Bill is in the Mail. [:D] [:D] [8D]

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hang a picture over it. its much easier.[:p]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't take it personal, But what is a "sweetmate"?

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well...it's a good thing he missed the stud[^]

Muggster
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    dont worry im not gay. a sweetmate is someone thatdoesnt live in your room at school but lives in the same room cluster as u

edited November -1
    Thanks, but I was not worried.[}:)][}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that is spelled suitemate.

Otherwise, get two rings and head for San Francisco, quick.
    edited November -1
    Thats what I thought but I did not want to "JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS".

• deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    why are you fixing your sweetmates hole? He put his head through the wall, he should have to fix it.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    Hang a poster.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Tell that Sweetymate to get his Butt right on down to Home Depot and get whatever it takes to fix your wall. [:p]

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rather than cutting to the stud, you can use repair clips (made by Sheetrock). It helps to cut the hole square when repairing, but you can cut to match any shape.

Here's what I'm talking about

Most Lowe's stores carry them too.

Another option is to use polyurethane foam (I like "Great Stuff" brand).

Pack aluminum foil into the hole so the foam is limited in it's ability to expand into the wall.

Put plastic, newspaper, or some other protective barrier around the hole and on the floor then fill the hole with the foam (it expands! so watch it). Let it expand out of the hole. Do not mess with it while it's wet.

After it hardens, take a knife or saw blade and cut it flush with the wall then use spackle to smooth the surface. The "onetime light-weight" spackles are expensive but can work well in an application like this.

Paint to match.
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget to match the texture before you paint. If the walls are textured you can buy texture in a can. You simply spray it on. But be sure to practice on a piece of cardboard first. If your wall is smooth, you don't have to worry about it. If not, the texture will really help to blend in your patch, plus it will cover up any inperfections.

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    Proud member of the NRA and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get an air return vent and screw it on over the hole.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Insert a 2X4 in the center THEN patch it & draw a large target where the hole was (kinda like a red-flag for a bull).
    Sooner or later he'll get shootfaced again & butt the wall.
    [8D][8D]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK