In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

King Family Squabbles Over Movie Rights

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
King family feud could derail film on rights leader
DreamWorks Studios wants `unity' among siblings to proceed

By STEVE VISSER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s children could derail a major motion picture about their father's life and legacy unless they all get behind the project.

DreamWorks Studios, which announced Tuesday it planned an epic on King, said Wednesday it needs "unity" among family members to proceed. The studio suggested the civil rights leader would want his children to quit bickering.

"The purpose of making a movie about the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is to tell a great story which could bridge distances and bring people together," the studio said in a statement.

"We remain committed to pursuing a film chronicling Martin Luther King's life provided that there is unity in the family so we can make a film about unity in our nation. We believe this is what Dr. King would have wanted."

On Tuesday, the Rev. Bernice King said she and Martin Luther King III would try to block the film deal between Dexter King and Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks Studios, which they only learned of in an e-mail that morning. Dexter King, who runs the family corporation, has been at loggerheads with his two siblings over the handling of King's legacy and their parents' estate.

Dexter King said in a statement late Wednesday that he is committed to working with his siblings "to educate people about the life, leadership and teachings of our father, Martin Luther King Jr. . I sincerely hope my brother and sister will join us in supporting this urgently needed project."

He acknowledged that "communication with family members has been somewhat stymied" by litigation.

Attempts to reach Bernice and Martin King on Wednesday were unsuccessful.

Dexter King, 48, who lives in California, said in a news release Tuesday that he had negotiated the sale of rights by the King estate for what he hopes will be the "definitive film" on his father's life and legacy. His sister denounced it as empire building by her brother and an associate, Madison Jones, who would be a co-producer.

Andrew Young, the former Atlanta mayor who was a top King aide, said he thinks Spielberg feels an obligation to history to make the film, which Young hopes will be on par with David Attenborough's "Gandhi" or Spielberg's "Schindler's List."

"I think this film is decades overdue," said Young, who was with King when he was assassinated in Memphis in 1968. "I have always concerned myself with the family, and it has a financial responsibility for the legacy. But there is a movement legacy that thousands of us were involved with, and I don't think the story should be suppressed because the family doesn't agree."

The King siblings have gone to court in Georgia over control of the corporation that controls their parents' legacy. That case revolves around papers of their mother, Coretta Scott King, that Dexter King is trying to use for a book and that Martin and Bernice King are trying to block.

Bernice, 46, and Martin King, 51, were also angered by a deal cut by Dexter King and a record company for recordings of their father.

Young said all three King children have wanted their father's story told comprehensively. The former diplomat said he expects Spielberg can broker a peace.

"They're not fighting over money - that is a misinterpretation," said Young. "They are fighting over respect and influence and having input, and all that can be controlled by Steven Spielberg. Steven Spielberg can reach out and talk to everybody."

Young said he thinks Bernice and Martin King want the film deal stalled until they resolve the issue about their mother's papers.

The issue is complicated because Dexter King runs King Inc., the corporation that has the rights to his father's works. Yolanda King, now deceased, was the executor of their mother's estate, and Bernice is the executor of Yolanda's estate, Young said. Yolanda and Coretta Scott King died in 2007 and 2006, respectively.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Ural Glanville has appointed an auditor to determine who has legal rights to boxes of Coretta Scott King's personal papers, including love letters between she and her husband.

Dexter King wanted to use the letters in an autobiography of his mother, for which he had negotiated a $1.4

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "They're not fighting over money - that is a misinterpretation," said Young. "They are fighting over respect and influence and having input, and all that can be controlled by Steven Spielberg.

Whenever someone says, "It's not about the money," that is proof that it is all about the money.
    I admire Dr. King, but his children are pathetic.

Anyway, I don't see where they have a say in selling the rights to their father's story. He was a public figure.
    You going to make a film about D-Day, you have to pay money to David Eisenhower?
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this film ever gets off the ground it will be a sham portraying King as some one special as opposed to what he really was, a womemizer and rabble rouser.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    If this film ever gets off the ground it will be a sham portraying King as some one special as opposed to what he really was, a womemizer and rabble rouser.

I think I could put your words much better by saying....

Well, I guess I couldn't.

You are right on the money (pun intended).

"Follow the money !!"

Doug
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes he was a hound dog when it came to women, but that doesn't negate the great work he did.
    When I was a kid, growing up in Atlanta, it was not possible for a black student to go to the University of Georgia. Racist bs.
    I remember the "colored" and "white" drinking fountains.
    I can also remember the blacks had to sit at the back of the bus.

These were the inequities that Dr. King gave his life to correct.

The fact that the black culture has, for the most part, gone into the toilet today, has Dr. King spinning in his grave.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    He had good writers, but spoke from both side of his mouth.

Without the strong support of anti-war (draft dodger) white people, and blacks who refused to/didn't want to serve, his voice would have been just another mumble.

I think.

Doug
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why isn't Spike Lee directing this? Another job going to the white man. Or at least let that Chinaman who did "Brokeback Mountain" do it. We all know if Spielberg does this he's going to put Jar Jar and special effects.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They've allready given him wings & a halo, why does he need a movie?
    You can take the kids out of the ...........
    [:(!]barto[:(!]