In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Politically Correct Language-----My *

Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2002 in General Discussion
First, I want to be really clear about one thing: as far as other people are concerned when I deal with them as individuals, I will call them whatever "they" prefer.I got into an arguement with some people at work last night because rather than willingly be refered to as "big-boned", I took offense and said I was fat. I know the they meant well, but I didn't appreciate being labeled with something I'm not comfortable with.Tall people are not "horizontally challenged"....they're tall.I am so sick of what the human vernacular has become, that very often I will just listen to conversations rather than take part for fear of pi---ng someone off. Please note that earlier I said I was fat. I am. I'm not large; not stout, chunky, hefty, plump, or heavy. A house is heavy. And, I'm not "big-boned". Dinosaurs were big-boned. I appologize to anybody this may have offended, as I've not intended any of it as insult or criticism. I'm merely pointing out a dislike for how "soft" language has become that we have taken it upon ourselves to call things other than how they are.Now, just to lighten this a little. My wife took to calling me "Crisco" a few years back, and I don't have a problem with that, because she sees me for what I am....fat in the can.

Comments

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, the language is changing. In point of fact it is always changing. When you see a commercial that says, "These hamburgers have great taste," it is incorrect. The hamburgers have flavor, we taste them. But, if this usage continues over time, the usage will change the definations and it will become correct.Second. Political Correctness, however well intentioned, is fascism. It is the attempt to regulate thought into approved channels. But, not all fat folks are as comfortable as you with being called fat. So, the folks that said large boned, at least were trying to consider your feelings, even if their attempt was misplaced. More often than not, the fat guy will object to being called the fat guy and say he is "stocky." Be easier for you if you could just lay back and appreciate their attemp to be polite.He Dog the "stocky"
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HeDog, I can understand your response completely, but last night wasn't the first time I've butted heads with these people at being called something other than I more than obviously prefer.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good for you. I agree that plain speaking is good, that houses are heavy, that dinosaurs were big-boned. I weigh more than I would like since I stopped hitting the gym a few years ago. My concern, and I believe this is the truth, is that fat is unhealthy. It puts a strain on every organ including the heart. It shortens lives as does smoking. It is not a victimless condition because if we die younger than we should we hurt the ones who love us. I'd like to add that it is no more correct to claim fat should be a source of personal pride as it should be minimized with euphemisms. I hope I haven't offended anyone, but as a fat country (what is it, 75% now?) we need to admit that what the doctors say is true -- it may be normal, but it's also foolish and dangerous and dumb, and we need to take some action. Lobbying for "leaner" foods from the manufacturers, yes, particularly for older folks, but also EXERCISE and sensible eating, which means shopping and cooking, not the current crop of fast food (with the possible exception of Subway, I guess).
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    AMENBubba the 'Fat *'But a damn fine personality...LOL
    http://www.tmorg-forums.com/ [This message has been edited by Bubba Joel (edited 03-21-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I should have added that the idea that fat may be just metabolism and therefore out of our control strikes me as rationalizing. Why? Because when I see all those pictures of starving people in third world nations, or of those who emerge from prison camps, if they've been deprived of food they're ALL skin and bones. No fatties there...
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My signature tells my thoughts on PC
    PC=BS
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog - How about the chronic misuse of "hopefully"? So much so that the misuse is now acceptable.
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Several years ago there used to be a clothing outlet store in Kansas City and I would go in a buy a sport coat or a suit each time I went to Kansas City. The would fill out a card on you to get you in the right catagory of clothes. I have a 52" Chest and a 44" waist and my discription on the card was "Athletic", Man I should have paid more attention to how they described a fat guy! Man I can just barely remember the days when I had a 29" waist and the girls used to say I had a cute butt. Wish I was young again I could buy clothes without having to pay a surcharge for being "Athletic"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was good at English in high school, in fact I "tested out" two semesters of college English as a result. Since those days many things have crept into the daily language that would have my H.S. English teacher, Ms. Riordan, rolling in her grave. "Towards" is one. You go toward something, not "towards" it. Our TV weatherman would make her crazy because he always calls temperature "temp-a-chur." It's a midwest thing. There are many others. As a "sometimes writer" for money, I have frequently had to decide to go colloquial rather than formal, even though I know what's "more correct." Nobody likes a word nerd. Besides, plain speaking is more important than vocabulary. On the other hand, it's nice to know I can get an editing job and outdo most of my competition when necessary. But who's got time for review on stuff like e-mail and board postings anyway? This stuff is purely informal, typos and all.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    niklasalniklasal Member Posts: 776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do any of you remember that commercial on TV a while back? I forget what it was advertising, but it basically showed a different guys saying a comment umm... more characteristic of women.Guy sitting at bar: "I have my mother's thighs... I have to accept that."Announcer: "Guys don't stress over these things, why should we?"and so on.
    NIKLASAL@hotmail.com
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...society has changed a lot since I was a kid,....used car lots are now "previously owned quality autos".....car repair shops & body shops are now "service centers" and "collision repair centers". Garbage man even had a make over....they are now the "Sanitary Engineers". This must mean that everyone who posts on this board is a "Consultant"......heehee
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    & as i read this at 5am. i reach for another round of summer sausage. another in the list of "breakfasts of champions" lol. p.s. 250# & holding barely barto
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer