In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Electricity Question about "the grid"

CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
I know I can see the instant electricity price from the PMJ website but is the a website to show me a daily price for electricity? I need to track a daily average for a week or two.

Comments

• Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    I know I can see the instant electricity price from the PMJ website but is the a website to show me a daily price for electricity? I need to track a daily average for a week or two.

Im not aware of any sites that perform this service for free to the public. Whole departments of energy companies work on this everyday. Its not a big secret or anything, but the info is still quite valuable.

I can give you a ball park figure for PJM, which this time of year the daily average is around $33 a megawatt, but it can swing massively from any number of factors.
  • Options
    ithaca4meithaca4me Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These numbers change with time of day and so forth they have what is called off peak and on peak. Off peak typically 2300 to 0700 on peak the rest of the time. I used to be the unit operator at a small municipal power plant and every night I would call and order power for the next day. I agree with the middle $33 sounds about right. We ordered our power from ampohio if you could find there number maybe they would tell you. But they may just give ou an average your looking for. In this day and age maybe not because power has become competative. Many factors go into pricing power throughout the day like megawatts availiable (power plants online and ready to push) and megawatts not availiable (power plants down for maintenace or for unforseen problems) We got many calls during the extemely hot days in the summer asking if we could push more power and that it was going for 600-1000 a megawatt hour.
  • Options
    djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try energy.gov they have lost of usefull info. You should be able to finds links to just about anything.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look over your elect. bill carefully.
    Ours gives average daily consumption,& a graph showing last years monthly usage compared to this year.
    Quite informative.
    [^]barto[^]