In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

On wood ,concrete,steel and homes...

Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I see many people buy extraodinary guns,ammo and survival items but it worries me that most americans are in total ignorance as to the vulnerability of the traditional american home ,WOOD ,Gipsum board and sidings that will not even stand up to a .22rimfire punisment.
Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram

Comments

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I never understood was how those "fireproof" homes in the book Farenheit 451 burned down so quickly when the "firemen" set them ablaze.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wacco burned, as nearly all other places fedshave confronted *sic* (patriots) have burned ,even some members of the forum have lost to the fires hunger ,maybe the saying "don't throw bricks if you live in a glass house" has to be aplied to guns too .Proper REFUGE desing is a nesesity .
  • Options
    NGOG_NRYTHRNGNGOG_NRYTHRNG Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try RASTRA, or maybe a monolithic dome. Shrugs off class five tornados.
    Ngog
  • Options
    hyperspacehyperspace Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand haybale houses are pretty fire resistant, believe it or not -- has to do with how tightly the bales are compressed for homebuilding. Once saw a fellow put a blow torch against such a bale, and it would not ignite. Between the density of the material and thickness, it ought to be a fair small arms stopper, too.
  • Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brick house burned to the ground. So much for the third little pig. What would you suggest? Titanium or depleted uranium for a building material? And how many jobs would be lost if nobody built out of WOOD? First, you have the fallers and limbers (me), then you have the skidders and choker-setters (me), then you have the people who truck the stuff to the mill (me) then you have the guy who runs the mill (me) then you have the guy who planes the lumber (me) then you have the guy who stickers and stacks it for drying (me) then you have the guy who pays for advertising who sells it (me), not to mention, lumberyard and home center employees, carpenters, cabinetmakers, patternmakers, architects, paper mill workers, truckers, accountants, re-forestation workers, foresters, timber cruisers, Heavy equipment manufacturers, road builders, chipboard manufactures and all their employees, plywood manufacturers and all their employees, glue producers, woodworking machine manufacturers and all their employees, portable power tool manufacturers and all of their employees, Nail manufacturers and all their employees, etc, etc, etc, etc. Yep, going down to the local builder's supply tomorrow and look for some armor plated building materials!! Paranoia would be a good excuse to devastate the economy.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finch Sh*t , it has a compound called ammonium triosulphate ,its the best fire stopper i know , you can get it from fire equipment supliers in powder form, you mix in concrete with HAY bales or watever material you want to make fire resistant ,try to oxi-hydrogen burn it ! the stuff is radical ! it was discovered by the observation of FINCH nest(A finch is a grain eating african bird) survival to severe sabana fires. they sintetized the stuff to use in dry powder fire stinguishers (ammonium triosulphate)Hope "spelang" is right...
  • Options
    Mom MomMom Mom Member Posts: 169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to mention, wood still remains one of the most reasonably priced building materials. While amateur "fire proof" materials may work for those of you fortuante to be out in the boonies; those of us who contend with bureaucratic nonsense like building permits and zoning regulations have to stick to "approved" materials. As mentioned, wood is about the cheapest, followed by brick. I would also be curious to know the rate of rodent infestation in haybale houses. Do the bales get moldy if it rains too long?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wood requires Paint ,paint can be mixed withthe ammonium triosulphate powder for a quite good protection agains fire and Termites plus it is tasteless odorless and organically safe its clear color can be mixed with other natural colors to match wood. I personaly love wood ...untill my lab burned down... still love it but with a good fire supresion system... Dome Houses are quite interesting desings can be made of aerogel concrete wood or steelalso Hangar type steel structures are cheap and reliable (Made in US) By US steel workers. Same as wood ...
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I don't worry about it-I live in a box! [This message has been edited by alledan (edited 12-13-2001).]
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    smearing bird s**t all over your house-now theres a novel idea whose time i hope never comes!