In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Homemade bologna

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I need to purchase a new grinder and a few other tools for making bologna. Just bought wifeypoo a new oven for the kitchen so I now have my own oven in the basement for cooking it. I would like to hear some opinions on what brand of grinders y'all use. I will also need a stuffer. What should I look for and what should I expect to pay for these. My old grinder is a pain to run because it needs a seperate motor to run it and it will take a week to grind 3 whole deer(minus the straps) I have in the freezer just for this. Tired of spending a couple hundred $ to have someone else make it. Any suggestions?
If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.

Comments

• talontalon Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to the "Sausage Maker" web site(Buffalo, NY). Get a #32 Enterprise grinder and sausage stuffer horn for it, with a spacer disk. It can do 10# in a minute, in 20 minutes even the biggest dear is buggerized. It will still be going when the last whitetail is in the Smithsonian. Order whatever ingredents from them. When you order your 'skins' do NOT get the perferated ones. I've done business with them for years and have never been disappointed. Oh, you could get a motorized grinder, but if you do, you'll have to spend big bucks for a quality one ($500-750).
  • NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the wife a Kitchenaid mixer, then buy youself the grinder and stuffer atachment. That way you both get a little something out of the deal
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done business with Sausage Maker. Good people, Great service! I buy spices from them all the time.WOODS
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the # 32 idea. Mine is belt driven with a horse and a half moter and it works great. I also have a direct drive # 22 with a gear reducer, but it doesnt do the job as well. Good luck
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I went to their web site and looked at the #32. It has a manual crank on it, can an electric motor be hooked to it via belt?
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i built my own from a conventional hand grinder with a garage door opener for the drive.instantly reversable, lotsa power & cheap.ive been using it for 6 years w/no problems. barto
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer