In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most historically significant firearms

opentopopentop Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Someone last week was bored and started threads on "If you could only have one..." for various types of firearms. This week, I'm bored and so I thought I'd start one on the most historically significant firearms. For this discussion, I propose three categories of REAL LIFE, gun powder/projectile firing firearms. State your choice for each and a why you think so.1 - Shoulder fired weapons (military or civilian)2 - Handguns (military or civilian) 3 - Man portable infantry support weapons. I mention "real life" and gun powder/projectile firing and limit it to these three categories, because I know if I don't, we'll have people entering the gatling guns from "Predator" and "Terminator 2", bazookas and everything else, that doesn't technically fall under the category of "firearms"My votes are:1 - Matchlock muskets - because they were the first practicle combat firearms.2 - Colt Paterson revolver - because it was the first practicle repeat fire pistol.3 - Maxim machinegun - because it was the first practicle firearm to use the power of it's own action and reaction, to load unload the chamber without it's operator having to move anything.

Comments

• Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine would be:Shoulder fired.....GarandHandgun............1911Man portable.......BARMudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!Let me update that.Anyone who CAN carry, BETTER carry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    guess I need to learn how to spell "practical".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mudge - good choices all! Those are a few of my personal favorites as well.
  • Options
    Andrew AdamsAndrew Adams Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle: Spencer or Henry, the first practical repeating rifles. Pistol: 1911Portable: BAR
  • Options
    bfairbfair Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle: HenryPistol: Any Early Colt Cartridge RevolverPortable: BARHonorable Mention: Gatling Gun
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaSemper Paratus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All excellent choices!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All excellent choices! Wish I had one of each.
  • Options
    Mark IIMark II Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the firearms listed here were significant for their contributions to the development of firearms. Their contributions to History, however, is quite another thing. Which firearms are significant for the way they changed world history? I believe the Maxim should still get a vote, as well as the 1903 Colt (which I heard fired on Archduke Ferdinand, starting WW1), and the Carcano (because it reportedly is the one that was used on Kennedy). Those are my votes. If I got another, I would vote for the AK-47, for it's effect on late 20th century history, and probably the history of the 21st century as well.
    "To meet with ill fortune is to meet with good fortune. To meet with submission is to meet an enemy."
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 rifle2. 1911 45 cal. Pistol3. Garand M1/Browning Auto RifleVery significant in history's timeline.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Win model 70 2. Colt SAA3. "puff the magic dragon" oh im dreamin again,,,1.win 18732.Colt 19113.Browning Bar
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Thompson1911M-2HB
    If you run, you'll just die tired!
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Mauser 71 as the first successful mass adopted bolt action. Lebel 1886 as the first small caliber smokeless rifle. Maxim/Vickers as the guns that proved the machine gun. Borchardt as the first more or less successful semi auto handgun. French 75 field artillery as it ushered in modern artillery. THese choices are significant for what they led to, not necissarily in and of themselves.
  • Options
    jadleejadlee Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser action riflesBrowning pistolsthe machine gun[This message has been edited by jadlee (edited 10-10-2001).]