In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' National Guard Has No Ammo.

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited October 2001 in General Discussion
Empty Gun -- The National Guard Has No Ammo. Date: 10/15/2001 10:31:00 PM Written By: KeepAndBearArms.com California Correspondent CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'National Guard Has No Ammo.by a KeepAndBearArms.com LA correspondentOctober 15, 2001KeepAndBearArms.com -- If you ever wondered if California was really La-La Land, really the ultimate PC state, wonder no more. California Governor Gray Davis is so "politically correct" he apparently doesn't believe in arming the very people he sends in harm's way to defend the citizens of his state. (State Governors oversee the National Guard in each state.)No Magazines in the National Guard's Guns at Orange County's Airport: Click image to enlarge. If you look at the photo below from last Saturday's Los Angeles Times (click for enlargement), first brought to our attention by Citizens Of America creative director Jim Houck, you can see that the guardsman is holding a rifle with no ammunition magazine. At most, this rifle has one cartridge in the chamber, but that is extremely doubtful. The message this photo sends to terrorists and copy-cat lunatics: This California airport is NOT protected by armed Guardsmen.QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER1) What happens if the guardsman actually needs to use his firearm to defend the people he is there to defend? Is he supposed to use it as a club?2) Is the entire staff of the L.A. Times so ignorant about guns that they didn't realize they were exposing an obvious flaw in Governor Davis' "protective measures" at the airport? Didn't anybody on the Times' staff realize the message the Times was sending when they printed this picture?3) What is the real reason the National Guardsmen at this airport are carrying empty guns? 4) Who were all of the people involved in making the decision to assure that these guardsmen were carrying what amount to expensive clubs? Are they guilty of dereliction of duty? If so, if something happens at the airport that requires an armed response and results in loss of life due to the Guardsmen's inability to respond with armed force, can those responsible for emasculating the Guardsmen be held legally and criminally liable?5) Does anybody actually think a terrorist wouldn't see an empty gun with a single glance? If a terrorist immediately sees that a gun is empty, is he supposed to be afraid, perhaps because the guy holding it is wearing a military outfit and hold a fancy club?NOTE: If this information was emailed to you, we include the following link to the enlarged picture showing a neutered "guardsman" in order to let you draw your own conclusions: http://www.KeepAndBearArms.com/images/unarmed_Nat_Guard.jpg. ACTION: If you would like to call the L.A. Times and urge them to address the issue of unarmed "guards" "guarding" the airport, here is the number to their newsdesk: (213) 237-5000. You can also contact Gov. Davis:Governor Gray DavisState Capitol BuildingSacramento, CA 95814Phone: 916-445-2841Fax: 916-445-4633governor@governor.ca.gov http://www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=2056

Comments

• Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were similar reports of unarmed NG personnel on duty in NYC posted on this board and I believe I read in a local paper that this also happened at Logan in Bahston. I for one feel much more secure knowing that so many politicians are still basing their decisions on sound bites.
  • Options
    NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back when this whole things started, I rember seeing a gards man sitting ontop of a hummer holding on to a 30cal that had no ammo belt running to it. This was shown on ABC.... Really makes you wonder how safe we actually are.
  • Options
    yaneviyanevi Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    *sigh*Did you notice how we are in full gear?30rd Mags are in the ammo pouch.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    If the SHTF in a hurry the mags in the pouch aren't much good.Lowrider: Keeps his empty pistol in the nightstand and his ammunition in the basement, just to be on the safe side.
    She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    Free N TXFree N TX Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judging from the way the picture was taken, I think the photographer knew full well that the rifle was unloaded. There would be no other reason for just taking a picture of the weapon without showing a full picture of the soldier, keeping his eyes on the look out for bad guys while standing with his weapon. Kinda makes ya wanna go down to the airport and hand out ammo to the guys. (in a whisper)(pssst, hey buddy, yeah you in the army fatigues, heres a mag WITH live ammo, just in case you may need to do something like... ohh, I dunno....maybe shoot some * that might want to kill you and other innocent people here)