In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time for a new pair of boots [xx(]

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
Yup, its that time again. It was either in late december or early january that I bought them. The best thing thats ever happened to my feet. My Ridge, Airtac boots. Have to be the lightest pair of boots I've ever owned, yet the most stable footed. They feel like I'm wearing a pair of tennis shoes, but with ankle support.

But now, they are getting close to their demise. Soles are starting to wear thin. I've already gone thru two pair of laces. Used up a whole can of polish. The paints almost all the way worn off the eyelets. The inside that was once black is now a redish purple color from hours and hours of foot sweat eating away at the dye. I have worn them every day since I purchased them. Have kept them bright and shiny. I've ran the obstical coarse in them. Did PT in them. Spent every single day of the acadamy in them. I don't think that they'll make it thru graduation in october though. They are getting to be on their last leg. If I didn't love them so much, they would have been replaced a month ago. But the sentamental value they hold is just so much. I honestly don't think I'll ever throw them away, just keep them in my closet in memory of the countless miles I've walked in them, and countless hours I've worn them. I've spent some wonderful trips to the range with them on. Did patrol procedures with them. Got sprayed with pepper spray with them. Oh, how my feet will miss them.

I think I'll get another pair just like them, but I think I'll get the paratrooper side zipper version.

If I'm wrong please correct me, I won't be offended.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing like a new pair of boots. I'm due for a pair too. Gonna be Red Wings, luckily for me work picks up half the tab.

Woods
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    LBM-

Careful with those side zipper deals, I tried a pair once and they tore my poor ankles up!

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Wings suck now, in my opinion. I used to buy them, but paying $180 for a pair of boots that lasts me 3 months isn't worth it. :(

I'm not sure what they changed, but the entire sole just wears away within a few months.

Merc (wears size 13) :(

NO! You may not have my guns! Now go crawl back into your hole!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    Go with Chippewa Had a pair last me 5 years and working on another pair now.

Respect those who protect us now just as you would those who died for us in the past.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given a choice I'd wear my Russel hunting boots. Unfortunately I work in an oily enviroment and my shoes have to be non slip. My employer has only approved 2 brands. Shoes For Crews and RedWing. The Shoes For Crews are awful. Last year that was our only choice. My feet are in terrible shape. Size 10EEEE, I've been wearing size 13's to get the width. At least RedWings are made in my proper size.

Woods
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DON'T throw them away. Keep them around for when you have to hit the pool for a swim test in full gear, or a muddy ruck march. Nothing like a comfortable boot to keep the feet from wearing out before the body does. Have a new sole put on them and slide a Dr. Scholls inside them.

***There's a difference between living and living well!***
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Try some orthodic inserts, got some from wal-mart for like $8, and they are awesome.

The sound of a 12 gauge pump clears a house fatser than Rosie O eats a Big Mac !
  • Options
    1blitzer1blitzer Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wear rocky alpha boots in the summer and my Danners in the winter. I am going to try the danner trooper II version with my next uniform allowance check.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had a pair of Rocky Alpha's, when I was playing alot of scenario paintball. I loved them. Thought they quit making them though. And Danner's are a little out of my price range, if its the one's I'm thinking of, aren't them about $200 boots?

• Options
    edited November -1
    the danner trooper II boots are around $150.00.
    I bought rocky alpha boots around christmas at a local Dicks Sporting goods(forget the web address)- I think galls still carries them, but I will check the catalog at work tonight.

Edited by - 1blitzer on 07/31/2002 14:40:01
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    lbm
    The people at Southern Police Equip (try: http://ss02.lynk-systems.com/southernpoliceequip/html/body_armor.html) have some right good prices on Rocky, Bates, Magnum Hi-Tec boots. Don't see them listed on the web site but you can give Sissy a call on the 800 number and she will get their catalog to you.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Galls still carries the alpha boots in the summer 2002 catalog.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I kinda want a pair of Corcoran Jumb Boots, but boy are they expensive.