In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wilson 1911s

223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Anybody out there own one? I'm looking at the full-size
CQB as a long overdue b-day present to myself. Is it
really $1000 better than the loaded blued springfield?

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you start hitting those price ranges ... it really depends on if YOU are that good ... most people can't out-shoot a Stainless Kimber Gold Match and wouldn't be able to appreicate the difference ... on the other hand, how much responcibility do you want to give the gun for how well you do or don't shoot

=================================
    Sometimes the most obvious, is the most elusive!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    223believer223believer Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear what you're saying, and I readily admit that I'm not a great shot. At the same time, though, you put forth a very interesting question: Should you buy a gun only at your ability level? Should I, an average shot, only purchases Tauruses, while a better shot should buy Smiths? I fully realize that I would not be able to drive a Wilson to the limits of its performance, but I could still enjoy it and appreciate what it could do.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in a gun shop in Ohio that had the entire line of Wilson Combat handguns on display. Having only read about these in magazines, it was a treat to hold, examine, and talk to some knowledgable folks concerning these. The workmanship is as perfect as any gun I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot of upper end guns). The slide to frame fit was impressive to say the least, tight but smoooooth. When you functioned the slide, it was apparent this was not like any production model I had seen previous.

The checkering was impecable, trigger and action was outstanding...I kept thinking to myself, "why is this gun so much better in many respects to other high end comparable units?" I believe the answer is the tolerances and time put into making each one were taken to a higher level of perfection. Each unit came with magazines that were specifically tuned for that handgun. I've handled a lot of nice 1911's over the years but this stands out as the best pieces of workmanship I've handled.

As far as shooting capabilities, I can only speculate and go by what their literature claims. I have no doubt it is better than my abilities. A buyer of a GT40 would find the cars capabilities far exceeded that of the driver....but it's nice to know the workmanship and quality is there for the person who knows how to use it.

My dream gun is a Wilson Combat Super Grade...it's not only capable of accuracy, but is an example of gunsmithing perfection rarely seen in 1911's. http://www.wilsoncombat.com/pistols/pistol_index.htm
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visited their site and drooled all over my keyboard.

PC=BS
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Dano, But I would love to have one of those Wilson works of art.I think it has more to do with being a machinist for 33 yrs,Than being a good shot.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.

Edited by - varmit hunter on 04/27/2002 11:07:50
  • Options
    ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had my Mr. Wilson-Colt for 4 years, I bought NIB here on GB for $1000, and it came from Findlay Ohio (same town Rembrant)??? I could not hit the brodside of the barn with any autoloader I had. This sucker drives tacks way ouy there, It made me a better shot,Just ask the neighbors tomcat if you can find him. I have never had a failure to feed,fire,eject,of any kind.

Buy it Now 223Believer, or forever hold your fire.

The UTC and the border patrol are on my wish list also.

A hot barrel, is a warm fuzzy feeling.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The shop I saw the Wilson Combat line was called New Albany Shooting Range outside of Columbus, Oh.

Here is their web site.... http://www.nasr.com/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .... typical response......for goodness sakes, it couldn't be the shooter's fault...must be the gun!.... stir...stir...

Who was shooting? Dano or Dano Too?....I think I'd trust Dano to do a better job....of course when you've taken as many lumps on the noggin as these two have, they could have been seeing double....

Edited by - Rembrandt on 04/27/2002 14:31:24
  • Options
    JBBooksJBBooks Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, Bill Wilson's shop REALLY knows what
    they are doing. My Wilson will shoot the
    left antenna off a nat at 25 yds. Well
    maybe I like it a lot. But I really like
    it a Whole LOT. Best firearm I own, and I
    own a LOT. http://www.wilsoncombat.com the
    place to be.
    And, no I don't own stock in the company.
    later,
    JBB

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano,$500?.Man you could get a dozen Jenning's for that much money.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dano,
    I'd like to shoot aginst you one on one sometime, but your fees are a little out of my comfort zone.....would you do it for a dozen donuts?
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I THINK THE REAL QUESTION IS:IS IT $700 BETTER THAN A KIMBER....I DOUBT IT.BETTER,MAYBE.$700 BETTER..ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN HELL

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just have one question, how much is your life worth to you. Cause when the poo poo hits the fan, your going to want the most reliable accurate gun you can shoot in your hands. I tell you, the gun I carry cost me and equivlant of one months pay, and is well worth it.

Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee