In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Whats a good pipe tabacco?

leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
I love smoking my pipe, I've smoked the cheap vanilla flavored wal-mart stuff, and the cheap stuff that came in the big bag from the drug store. But I don't know of any good tabacco's for pipes. I like a full flavored, aeromatic cigar, so I guess I'd like the same in a pipe tabacco too.Any suggestions?
Visit me http://www.geocities.com/gunsmithlee

Comments

• bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont smoke but i guess you could get seegars the same diameter as your pipe & just lop off the appropriate chunk & light-er-up. (joking-i love the smell of a pipe)
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go out and try to find a tobacco shop, I mean a real tobacco shop. In this place they will mix yer own blend according to yer taste. Where I am I know of only one and thats it. The man that owns it is almost 80 so once hes gone I'm afraid the shop is going with him. It seems these places are going where the cobblers and the real full service stations went to, to small bussiness heaven. And if you can't find a place like that try "Captian Black". It comes in a variety of flavors. Hans
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad always liked Prince Abert in a can. You can't get him in a can no more so I guess that rules that out.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Lee,my first reply is to stop your evil ways and quit!!When I smoked,I loved the cheap old Carter Hall and also Borkum Ruff (sp), I would love to be able to take a big draw off a pipe but I'm afraid I would all off the wagon and get hooked again. I smoked for 40 years and up to 3 packs a day.I also smoked a pipe and cigars and inhailed every puff. I love the smell of a good pipe tobacco or a good cigar but can't take the chance of taking a good puff now. Dam, I like to smell a good pipe!!
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always liked the Balkan Sobranie mix in the black and white can, but it is British and costs a fortune these days. When I light a pipe now, I smoke a blend from a local shop, that is the best smoking tobacco I have ever found. [This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 02-28-2002).]
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a search for Iwan Ries. He's the largest private tobacco merchant and located in Chicago for 140 years. His specialty is pipe tobacco. Try "Dr. Bradley" If you don't like it I would be surprized!
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This all depends on you and the people around you.I find what I like,others don't like the smell of.I struck a happy ground with one and have been smoking it for years.Almost all pipe stores that sell tobacco will let you smoke some in your pipe before buying,or tell them what you like and they will make you a sampler pack,which is a nice way to pass time.I smoke mostly Peterson pipes and a few italian briars,peterson also makes some nice tobacco that I like.Here is a link to a online shop http://www.pipetobacco.com/ you can try different ones and see what you like best.The one that I found that others like the smell of is from Barclay called Nikolai,if you want a sample I'll send you one.SXSMAN@HOTMAIL.COM
  • drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    My father smokes Kentucky Club, Everything he sends me smells like that and makes me home sick.
  • jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my stepdad always smoked "sir walter raleigh"{did i spell that right}brand tobacco, it smelled great but remember how sir walter met his fate-he was beheaded by savages.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    second the iwan ries motion...let me know and i'll get their phone #...i always liked their orange label and white label stuff...
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I've been wanting to get into pipe tobacco for a while now. I like cigars, and I figure I'd like that too.Problem is, I'd be too embarrassed to go into my local tobacco shop and buy a pipe.I already get all kinds of strange looks when my 18 year old self who looks like he's about 14 comes in and asks the clerk for a recommendation. "Something thinly-fillered, maybe a darker-hue Maduro Churchill, preferably of Chilean or Bolivian seed?".I dont think I could bear the suspicion if my teenage self went in and wanted to buy a pipe. 3 guesses what they'd be thinking.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, I hear ya. I remeber when I was 18, people still think I look about 18, and I was asking for fine cigars. Go to the counter and the first thing the clerk would reach for was a Swisher Sweet and I'd say, what the hell, I don't want a crap cigar, I said a real cigar, and then point to the Macanudo's (i can't spell).