In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

why not green?

the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2002 in General Discussion
so, now that we sorted out the "melting lead tip" fiasco- maybe the science committee can figure out why theres no green-furred animals? green reptiles, fish, birds- but no mammals. sorta weird, i thought(who'd ever see a green monkey in the jungle)...i figure we can gather up the collected wisdom and issue a semi-annual encyclical detailing the known world....6-pack rat over/out...

"let not your work smack of the trowel, nor your words cause a blow from one either..."

Comments

• Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    because "its not easy being green."
    -Kermit the frog

Happiness is a warm gun
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Three-toed sloths are green; from algae or sumpin' like dat.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot a bunch of Prairie Dog's once that had been feeding on sage brush....turn them inside out with a 25-06 and you'll see plenty of green...

Then there are the Green Monkey's.....

Guenons
    This is a highly diverse group with there being 19 to 21 distinct species, 67 sub-species, and 8 or 9 groups. To make it easier, they are divided up into 2 categories, Savanna and Forest dwelling. They have a life span of 20 to 25 years and the species most commonly owned by individuals are:

SAVANNA MONKEYS
    They are plain colored with soft, short hair which is yellowish to olive color on the shoulders, back, and tail. Their arms and legs are gray to black and their face is black as well. They weigh in at about 10 to 16 pounds. and the males are larger than the females. They posses opposable thumbs, a long tail, and cheek pouches.

GREEN MONKEYS - The most plain of the savanna monkeys, lacking the white band of hair above the eyes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What about them African rubber monkeys that we make naughahide(SP) out of? (I ain't never gonna learn how da spell that.)

• Options
    edited November -1
    rather than uphold the self-evident, you choose the path of scepticism...well, i challenge those that raft the river of denial- provide proof! failing delivery of living specimens i shall entertain photgraphic sources...but while you, simple nay-sayers, hound the earth- might you not be haunted by the question behind the difficulty of your search? if so, return to the august light of scientifc inquiry and light a path in my humble darkness...

"let not your work smack of the trowel, nor your words cause a blow from one either..."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Whut?

• Options
    edited November -1
    oh well- i'm not so sure myself...ps: its "naugahyde"http://www.naugahyde.com/content/Co-ordinatesPage1.htm

• Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    ellyquent Rat ellyquent!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tanks a bunch!

• Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Green Monkeys! Who would have thought........

Barbados Wildlife: Green Monkeys

The green monkeys found in Barbados originally came from Senegal and the Gambia in West Africa approximately 350 years ago. About 75 generations have occurred since these monkeys arrived in Barbados and, as a result of environmental differences and evolution, the Barbados monkeys today have different characteristics than those in West Africa.

There are presently between five thousand and seven thousand monkeys in Barbados and these are found mainly in the parishes of St.John, St.Joseph, St.Andrew and St.Thomas, the parishes where much natural vegetation and woodlands still exist. However, monkeys can also be seen traveling through hotel grounds in St.Peter and St.James.

You may observe an infant monkey being carried by its mother, with the infant clinging to the mothers fur on her stomach and chest and her protective arm around him. As the infant matures and becomes more independent, he will stray from his mother, being carried only when the troop moves or when danger threatens.

Infants often appear blue in colour, as they have little fur when they are born. However, as they mature, they develop a thick fur that is brownish-grey in colour with specks of yellow and olive green. In some lights, the fur has an overall green appearance ... hence the name the "Green Monkey"
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    They are not very green, are they?

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Show me a fine new gun. That you just bought, And I turn Green.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dog is green when he can find some to roll in.

Clouder..
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no green mammals because mammals do not have green pigment in their skin (neither do reptiles and amphibians, but they do have lipid based red/yellow pigments and quanine, which is a crystaline substance that overlies the pigments and refracts light creating greens and rarely blues). Presumably mammals could have green hair/fur, but olive is about as close to grass green as they get. Sloths do grow algae on their hair and polar bears which have hollow hair shafts for insulation sometimes grow algae within the shaft in captive situations.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I` don`t know
    what you`ve seen,

but I`ve seen bees
    that were green.

clouder:

Now that`s a horse of a different color.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did someone mention green?

Uh, I mean Bees?
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most mammals are color blind and usually animals only are colorful when they see color like birds and reptiles.

i never make misteakes.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:
    They are not very green, are they?

No, but it looks very pensive.

I wonder what it's thinking about?

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you never heard of "the boy with green hair" i saw one last week but was unarmed.