In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shrooms

CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
It finally stopped raining, let the chickens out and noticed they were really hangin out by the wood pile. I went to investigate and ...
SCHROOMSSSS YES!!!!

Morel.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    well went hunting mushrooms for first time this year this morning. found a few grays and a few black morels and one nice red. it appears they are just starting to come up in the st. louis area. i thought with the 78 degree temp yesterday they would have popped but guess it will take another day or two. we had a shower today so that may help also. will try again sunday or monday.
    carl
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my all to limited experience (I don't believe I have eaten a pint over two bushels) the reds are the ones you want. Make you quit any other food! Good Hunting, wish I were there!
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,

I am at Fort Leonard Wood and am about to venture into the tick-infested woods to find some mushrooms of my own. Where are you finding them? Seen any morels yet?

Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. --Napoleon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    redleg. all the mushrooms i have been talking about are morels. maybe the red is not a true morel but it is called a morel becuse it has the same type of features. usualy the greys and blacks come up first followed by the creams and then the yellows. along the way you have the, spikes[dog peck##s] reds and a few others that i am not familiar with the names of. happy hunting. carl
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my morel patches around here have been turned into stores and parking lots. Used to enjoy picking them. I used to find so many I was giving them away. I might have to try my luck this year and see if I can find some. Havent tried for a couple of years.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Better watch out for the tall ones with the red cap and the white speckles on top.

By the time the convulsions set in a few hours later, it's allllll over baby.

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SaxonPig, sounds like you found the choicest....I guess you are as good a man as I thought.....

keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to preach something ya don't wanna hear, but, watch them "red" ones. I ain't gonna go into it,...I know, I know,...I always ate them too, with ????? no bad results, but, no more, after reading all the stuff out on them.
    Who knows what I might all know about computer thingie things if I just woulda been warned in my early days,...instead of encouraged.

I'm lookin' right now at a dug out "Missouri Conservationist" March of 1983 and April of 1982.

Thats all
    Bob
    (gettin' my "elitist crap" stars werkin' too)

Bob
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAndres-
    The morels haven't started coming up here yet, but I'm hoping that they will in the next couple of days.

Hey Saxon-
    Back in my younger days we used to make tea with them. That way you didn't have to deal with the rotten taste. But I have to agree with you....the colors were pretty

Edited by - Brth729 on 04/13/2002 06:22:26
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAndres,
    Shrooms eh?
    I must be young, I immediately assumed you were raiding cow pastures...

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    The red cap with the white speckles on top are Death Angels.

As the name suggests, you might want to leave them alone.

Rule of thumb: If it has gills, leave it alone. All of the poisonous mushrooms in North America are gilled. If you must eat a gilled shroom, check to see if it has an observable "*" cuplike growth at the bottom of the stem, partially buried. If so, leave it alone and wash your hands promptly.

This has been a public service announcement from those that know things and are addicted to online Army field manual digital libraries. If you ever need a booby trap identified or a treatise on using pack mules, I'm your man!

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All you mushroom lovers go to www.fungi.com. You can grow your own. I've been doing it for years and it's great.

PC=BS
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking it over, I believe it was the grey morels we ate, not red ones. Of course, no one would mistake a morel for an amanita would they? I will say flat out, that morels are the finest mushrooms of any I have ever eaten, including truffles!
  • Options
    travelortravelor Member Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, I hate to have to correct you, but red capped aminita's are not "death angels", but amintita muscaria, or Fly Agaric...named so from early folk use by placing small pieces in milk to stupify flys. Not nearly as poisonous a Death Angel, or Destroying Angel a more common name for Aminita Virosa, primarily a white, majestic looking version; this is perhaps the deadliest of mushrooms.

A side note about Fly Agaric...the North American version is considered poison in that it causes wavered vision, profuse sweating, and nausea, unlike its Siberian counterpart, which is halucinagenic...

keep lots of extra uppers for your ar..you can change often enough to keep the thing from over heating...what ever caliber fits the moment..~Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Redleg--

Are you going to be at Leonard Wood during the July 6 - September 12 timeframe? If so, you'll have to show me your shroom haunts. I've never hunted shrooms before but I won't eat anything but the freshest when it comes to those delicacies.

idsman75@peoplepc.com

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    edited November -1
    IN MY MU7SHROOM MANUEL IT LISTS THE RED AS POISONOUS/NOT TO BE EATEN MORE THAN THREE TIMES A YEAR. THEY TEND TO DESTROY THE RED CORPULSOS? YOU KNOW THOSE RED THINGS IN THE BLOOD. ACCORDING TO THAT I SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY AS WHEN I WAS YOUNG MY DAD HUNTED THEM AND WE ATE THEM DAILEY FOR AT LEAST TWO WEEKS A YEAR. I SELDOM FIND ANY NOWADAYS SO HAVE NO PROBLEM. I HOPE TO GO OUT AGAIN THIS WEEKEND AS I UNDERSTAND THE YELLOWS HAVE POPPED UP. WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I HAVE ANY LUCK.
    carl