In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remember My Complaint About Remington?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Here is an update, and it is good news!

My customer had a near-new Marlin .17HMR bolt gun that would not group. He contacted Marlin, now owned by Remington, and got a Return Authorization number. I shipped it back to Remington for him.

Remington wanted to keep the rifle and SELL my customer a new one for near-wholesale cost.

I wrote Remington and offered them some options:

1. Repair the rifle so that it will shoot a reasonable group.

2. Replace the rifle with a new equivalent.

3. Refund to my customer a check in the amount of the last published MSRP of his rifle.

4. Return the rifle, unrepaired, so that we can hang it in the shop for all to see. I stated that I would hang beside it a blown up image of the unreasonable offer to keep it and sell the customer another rifle.

Remington did nothing for a long time, and I was about ready to write them again, when the UPS lady dropped off a box from Remington. In the box was a brand new Marlin XT-17 rifle with heavy barrel, laminated wood stock and scope bases.

I called my customer, and he was thrilled.

I guess they didn't like options 1, 3, or 4, especially 4.

Comments

• Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't keeping the rifle be considered theft?
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    Remington wanted to keep the rifle and SELL my customer a new one for near-wholesale cost.

Damn, nothing like paying twice for a rifle [:(!]. Whoever suggested that stupid idea needs a good * kicking. [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear, David.

Too bad it took them so long to do the (obvious) right thing.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Be interested to hear how the replacement groups for your customer.
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the way that was handled.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    The question I have, was there any type of letter explaining what and why they chose the option they did?[:)]
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    glad it turned out ok for you. Wwould you sell a Remington product again??
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not so sure this is good news. I have a Marlin Model 1894 SS .44 Magnum I bought in February 2008 and haven't shot yet. I ran some cartridges through the action and it scratched up the brass pretty good.

I've been meaning to take it back to the dealer and have him get it polished, but haven't gotten around to it. Somehow it never registered in my mind that I might run afoul of Remington customer service.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Damn, nothing like paying twice for a rifle. Whoever suggested that stupid idea needs a good * kicking.

Remington isn't alone. I sent a P97 with a broken frame back to Ruger and requested repair. They refused to repair it. They wanted to keep my gun and SELL me another, at a higher price than I could buy one from a distributor.

I had to get ugly with them, but they finally sent my broken gun back unrepaired, and I sold it for the parts.

Funny thing is, the company making some of the crappiest guns, Hi-Point, has the BEST warranty in the business. If one of their guns breaks, they fix it or replace it free, no questions.

Taurus has a similar repair/replacement policy. No questions. They just make it right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thompson Center has pretty good customer service too. I had two Hawkin .50s I bought used and sent them to Thompson Center for some work I expected to pay for. They did everything I asked them to do and some more. The guns I got back could have passed for new and they said it was covered under their lifetime warrantee.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is an update, and it is good news!

My customer had a near-new Marlin .17HMR bolt gun that would not group. He contacted Marlin, now owned by Remington, and got a Return Authorization number. I shipped it back to Remington for him.

I wrote Remington and offered them some options:

1. Repair the rifle so that it will shoot a reasonable group.

2. Replace the rifle with a new equivalent.

3. Refund to my customer a check in the amount of the last published MSRP of his rifle.

4. Return the rifle, unrepaired, so that we can hang it in the shop for all to see. I stated that I would hang beside it a blown up image of the unreasonable offer to keep it and sell the customer another rifle.

Remington did nothing for a long time, and I was about ready to write them again, when the UPS lady dropped off a box from Remington. In the box was a brand new Marlin XT-17 rifle with heavy barrel, laminated wood stock and scope bases.

I called my customer, and he was thrilled.

I guess they didn't like options 1, 3, or 4, especially 4.

Are you going to put a sign up in the shop now of the great outcome?
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    I've had good customer service results from Ruger and absolutely outstanding from Kel-Tec.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    Thompson Center has pretty good customer service too. I had two Hawkin .50s I bought used and sent them to Thompson Center for some work I expected to pay for. They did everything I asked them to do and some more. The guns I got back could have passed for new and they said it was covered under their lifetime warrantee.

I'm guessing that was a while back james, since smith and wesson bought them the customer service is a joke, and the lifetime warranty is void.......[xx(] got a renegade flintlock, and the lock is bad, no replacement parts and no warranty work available....[B)][B)][:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I'm guessing that was a while back james, since smith and wesson bought them the customer service is a joke, and the lifetime warranty is void.......[xx(] got a renegade flintlock, and the lock is bad, no replacement parts and no warranty work available....[B)][B)][:(!]
    Sorry to hear that. Has S&W service gone down the chute too, or did they just make Thompson the red headed stepchild?
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer

Damn, nothing like paying twice for a rifle [:(!]. Whoever suggested that stupid idea needs a good * kicking. [;)]

That's exactly the offer I received from Ruger regarding a M77. While out of the stock the action was bumped, slightly bending the tang so that the action wouldn't seat into the stock completely and there was a hitch in the safety. It was sent back to Ruger and they declared the rifle unserviceable and said they would credit it against the purchase of a new rifle- basically, I could pay a discounted price for a new rifle, they would keep the old rifle. After I had completed a bunch of form relieving Ruger of any liability they returned the rifle to me. A local gunsmith heated the metal just a bit and straightened it out. Seats fine and the safety works well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Are you going to put a sign up in the shop now of the great outcome?

No, and option #4 was a bluff. My shop is 8X12 feet and the walls are pretty much covered up. There is no room to hang a rifle and a banner, and even if there were, there aren't enough visitors to my shop to make a difference. But, the folks at Remington have no way to know that.

It was a bluff, but it apparently worked.

That's why I posted the end result here, to let all you fellers know that Remington did eventually do the right thing.

It took around 3 months.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Are you going to put a sign up in the shop now of the great outcome?

No, and option #4 was a bluff. My shop is 8X12 feet and the walls are pretty much covered up. There is no room to hang a rifle and a banner, and even if there were, there aren't enough visitors to my shop to make a difference. But, the folks at Remington have no way to know that.

It was a bluff, but it apparently worked.

That's why I posted the end result here, to let all you fellers know that Remington did eventually do the right thing.

It took around 3 months.
    [;)][:D]