In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Better stock up on your smokes..............

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
FDA announces comprehensive regulatory plan to shift trajectory of tobacco-related disease, death

The FDA plans to begin a public dialogue about lowering nicotine levels in combustible cigarettes to non-addictive levels through achievable product standards. The agency intends to issue an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) to seek input on the potential public health benefits and any possible adverse effects of lowering nicotine in cigarettes. Because almost 90 percent of adult smokers started smoking before the age of 18 and nearly 2,500 youth smoke their first cigarette every day in the U.S., lowering nicotine levels could decrease the likelihood that future generations become addicted to cigarettes and allow more currently addicted smokers to quit.

Here if you want to read more.......
https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm568923.htm

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******
    edited November -1
    I quit,,,[^][^][^][^][^]
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    I quit,,,[^][^][^][^][^]

Me too.[8D]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    FDA announces comprehensive regulatory plan to shift trajectory of tobacco-related disease, death

The FDA plans to begin a public dialogue about lowering nicotine levels in combustible cigarettes to non-addictive levels through achievable product standards. The agency intends to issue an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) to seek input on the potential public health benefits and any possible adverse effects of lowering nicotine in cigarettes. Because almost 90 percent of adult smokers started smoking before the age of 18 and nearly 2,500 youth smoke their first cigarette every day in the U.S., lowering nicotine levels could decrease the likelihood that future generations become addicted to cigarettes and allow more currently addicted smokers to quit.

Just more proof taxing the crap out of something never works. If government thinks they can avoid peoples pursuit of a nicotine high, they are wasting our tax dollars.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like making illegal drugs illegal...[:o)]
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a pack in November and a pack in May. Gave both away when they got stale, with just a few missing.

The idea of having a 12-pack of beer in the fridge and a pack of smokes in the cupboard is good enough for me. Actually using the product? Maybe it's lost it's fad *hic*cough*wheeze*

My buddy texted me yesterday morning. He'll be 60 in March. Known him half his life. He claims he drank 20 Yuenglings Friday and had no hangover Saturday. He probably smoked more than a pack throughout the day.

On the other hand, if tonight I drank seven or eight beers and smoked four-five cigarettes, a mild endeavor for a teenager or 20-something, I'd be ill for four days ...

Just like humans will look back in 300 years to the people of today, shaking their heads at our wastefulness of valuable petrochemical resources for mere transportation, they'll also wonder what we were thinking with smoking. Humans are the only mammals, the only anything, who willfully inhale smoke from burning matter.

That said, I could do with a good single malt and a cigar [:D]
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Quit years ago. Probably the only reason I'm alive now.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am allergic to almost nothing the only thing I know I am allergic to is the Vape Smoke. When I tried them I coughed up a storm and I also can't breath when the "fake fog" is used on dance floors. Vape guy said it is the same thing.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sperry
    Bought a pack in November and a pack in May. Gave both away when they got stale, with just a few missing.

The idea of having a 12-pack of beer in the fridge and a pack of smokes in the cupboard is good enough for me. Actually using the product? Maybe it's lost it's fad *hic*cough*wheeze*

My buddy texted me yesterday morning. He'll be 60 in March. Known him half his life. He claims he drank 20 Yuenglings Friday and had no hangover Saturday. He probably smoked more than a pack throughout the day.

On the other hand, if tonight I drank seven or eight beers and smoked four-five cigarettes, a mild endeavor for a teenager or 20-something, I'd be ill for four days ...

Just like humans will look back in 300 years to the people of today, shaking their heads at our wastefulness of valuable petrochemical resources for mere transportation, they'll also wonder what we were thinking with smoking. Humans are the only mammals, the only anything, who willfully inhale smoke from burning matter.

That said, I could do with a good single malt and a cigar [:D]

No Smokes in the House, But have enough Liqueur and wine to tie one on for a while. Just never touch it. Have to be in the right mood. Been a couple of years since that mood hit.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,393 ******
    edited November -1
    Those of us who smoke have been placed in a leper colony for quite some time now. That is all I have to say.[V]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    it probably would be beneficial to peoples health if they would leave the tobacco raw and stop adding the government required chemicals , like Ethylene-vinyl acetate that make them burn out under the "fire safe cigarette act" just to name one of many

everytime i hear someone claim "there is 7,000 deadly chemicals in a cigarette" my answer is "name 7 of them"
  • Options
    riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    65 and one b=never touched my lips....now beer is a whole nother story......
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be sure to have enough tobacco to make sure we get cancer on time to die early. I smoked for 26 years .the best thing I ever did was quit smoking and drinking. No smokes or alcohol for 36 years. It saved my life. Now I'm 81 and all the people I knew who smoked are dead. Some of them died a horrible death.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    Those of us who smoke have been placed in a leper colony for quite some time now. That is all I have to say.[V]

That is because the less than considerate smoker's behavior impacts the people around them.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not where I get mine from and there only $19 a carton.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent

Just more proof taxing the crap out of something never works. If government thinks they can avoid peoples pursuit of a nicotine high, they are wasting our tax dollars.

Both the FDA as well as the tobacco industry are focusing on young people entering the market.

The link you have posted doesn't prove anything that you claim.

Taxation (raising the price), increasing legal smoking ages, banning smoking in certain places, and advertising have all been in place for some years now.

Decreasing the level of the addictive drug available to first time users may reasonably be expected to decrease the number who choose to continue to smoke despite all the other barriers.

Are the numbers of smokers rising, or falling ???

https://tinyurl.com/ybtca56m
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    To the west the Amish have real tobacco for sale. Right out of their barns. Made from sunshine, water, and dirt.

Boy, on a hot night, a case of ice-cold bottles of beer and a pack of smokes would seem like a normal diversion. Maybe 30 years ago. I'd probably be wheezing for days, physically ill as well.

On a recent camping trip I brought whiskey and smokes but ended up not touching the stuff.

My thrill was getting out of the tent at first light for solitary coffee. Me and the birds, 4:30am.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you feel like a leper because you smoke, there's one surefire fix.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i started smoking when i was 15 and i quit when i was 28 in 1971, the state just raised the tax a nickle on a pack bring them to .35 cents. turned out to be one of the best things i ever did for my self. i bought a case of beer for new years and there is 10 or 12 left, i drank 3 or 4 and my wife drank the other 7 or 8 and i,m think about sending her to the bette ford clinic for alkies. mr myopic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    i started smoking when i was 15 and i quit when i was 28 in 1971, the state just raised the tax a nickle on a pack bring them to .35 cents. turned out to be one of the best things i ever did for my self. i bought a case of beer for new years and there is 10 or 12 left, i drank 3 or 4 and my wife drank the other 7 or 8 and i,m think about sending her to the bette ford clinic for alkies. mr myopic.

You've got a case of beer sitting around from 1971 ??? [?]
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    quote:Originally posted by montanajoe
    I quit,,,[^][^][^][^][^]

Me too.[8D]

Me three.[^][^][^]
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tax man likes whatever is popular. He could give a hoot about what is good or bad for you...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, they have taxed gasoline well beyond its cost and it keeps getting bought....may have to make it illegal too ????? i do not intend to die from using gasoline but if the trips to and from my lake place are any indication, some stupid * that should not have a LICENSE to dive may run over me.....??????
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    The tax man likes whatever is popular. He could give a hoot about what is good or bad for you...

BINGO!

but it's for the children, so if you don't smoke you must not like children [:D]
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people spend $300.00 for cigarettes and $150.00 a month for a phone/ they want me to buy their health insurance.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well we pay their rent, food, cell phone, minutes, computer, and even some places they can get a vehicle provided
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,673 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    If you feel like a leper because you smoke, there's one surefire fix.

Actually, there are two. If you don't choose the first, the second will choose will choose itself.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But premium cigars are still untouchable but then Boxing isn't and the two together would remind me of 1960's again![:D]

serf

http://www.ishn.com/articles/106936-fda-may-exempt-premium-cigars-from-regulation

The AHA is pleased with the FDA?s announcement that it will lower nicotine levels and examine how flavored tobacco product attract young people, but is disappointed with the agency?s decision to delay certain e-cigarette and cigar compliance deadlines. ?Altering the deadline for FDA review of e-cigarettes and cigars is a troubling step and one that we will closely monitor,? says Brown.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sperry
    Humans are the only mammals, the only anything, who willfully inhale smoke from burning matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DVR27dKuQY
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still fresh from 1989...........

rX1pieR.jpg