In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"We will not forget..."

oughtsixoughtsix Member Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
From Steven denBeste's weblog:

Update: Andr?s writes, also from Europe:

Just wanted to drop you a line to stress that there are a number of us outside the US, who will not forget either.

We will not forget how the United States saved Europe three times in one century and in the latter two cases probably saved Civilization. We will no forget how the United States has time and again sent forth her sons and daughters to die on foreign soil so strangers might too taste the liberty America has known longer than any other nation. We will not forget how America has stood fast against tyranny in all corners of the world, even if that may have meant befriending the lesser of two local evils for a while. We will not forget how America has resisted the temptation of empire, nor will we forget her patience and magnanimity towards her often fickle friends as well as defeated foes. We will not forget the boundless generosity of the people of the United States whether rebuilding Europe after a devastating war, stabilizing markets in times of trouble or subsidizing the security of vulnerable allies. We will not forget how America has enriched mankind with her astonishing material, technical and cultural advances. We will not forget the victims of September 11th nor will we forget the countless heroes of that terrible day, heroes who faced the worst of humanity with the best.

We will not forget the United States, which is a great country, but an even greater idea.

Comments

• Options
    chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    many from our own country have already forgot they are the one with the anti war signs.

chris
  • Options
    charger_rt440charger_rt440 Member Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hmmm, I wonder if we planted the idea in the anti war movement, that the only way to stop the war is for them to go to Iraq and become a human shield to protect the poor Iraqi soldiers, you think it would actually work?[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Stress--This happens when the brain overrides the bodies basic urge to strangle the crap out of someone!!!!
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "...United States saved Europe three times..." What three times? When did the US save anybody? If you mean WWI & II. Your lot was 4 years, count 'em, 4 years late for the first one and 2 years late for the Second. By 1918, when your lot finally got there, unprepared(No MG's, untrained, etc) but there, the French and British had been bled white by 4 years of their incompetent generals. Your lot fought along side the French and did the exact same things the French had done in 1914(unprepared, unrecced, frontal assaults against dug in MG 's) because Pershing refused to listen to anyone.
    Haig was about to be replaced by Sir Arthur Currie. Lumpy looking Canadian guy who invented battlefield recce, rehearsing an attack and his Arty guy by the name of McNaughton, invented pre-registered artillery fire. You know, all the SOP stuff that gets done by armies now.
    Your lot wasn't much better for WW II either. Still wouldn't listen so you got whupped but good at Kasserine. Aircraft that wouldn't do the job, tanks that wouldn't either(burned well though).
    Your lot seems to ignore the fact that by the time you got there, the Russians were about to start back. Then your President gave Eastern Europe to them.
    Most of ya'll forget that if Canada hadn't been there right from the beginning, the Brits wouldn't have had the resources to continue. Most of ya'll likely don't know that we had the 3rd biggest navy and it was RCN ships that beat the U-Boats. We put over a million men and women in uniform out of a population of less than 11 million. We taught the world how to fly as well. It got to the point that there were too many trained aircrew. Most of ya'll likely think the uranium used for the Manhattan Project came from the States. Nope. Northern Ontario.
    Your lot needs to read some history books that didn't use Hollywood as reference materials.
  • Options
    oughtsixoughtsix Member Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunray,
    In the first place, this quote is from a EUROPEAN!! not from
    me or any American. It is posted here to refute the media biased
    reports that the whole world is against us on Iraq, and to raise
    the spirits of us beleaguered Patriots.

Secondly, I don't recall anyone here disparaging Canada's efforts
    during WWII, so I don't undestand what's got your knickers in
    a wad. I do, however, recall that the valiant leader of the
    Empire at the time, Sir Winston Churchill had this
    to say about American importance to the war:

"No American will think it wrong of me if I proclaim that to have the United States at our side was to me the greatest joy. I could not foretell the course of events. I do not pretend to have measured accurately the martial might of Japan, but now at this very moment I knew the United States was in the war, up to the neck and in to the death. So we had won after all! Yes, after Dunkirk; after the fall of France; after the horrible episode of Oran; after the threat of invasion, when, apart from the Air and the Navy, we were an almost unarmed people; after the deadly struggle of the U-boat war -- the first Battle of the Atlantic, gained by a hand's breadth; after seventeen months of lonely fighting and nineteen months of my responsibility in dire stress, we had won the war. England would live; Britain would live; the Commonwealth of Nations and the Empire would live. How long the war would last or in what fashion it would end, no man could tell, nor did I at this moment care. Once again in our long Island history we should emerge, however mauled or mutilated, safe and victorious. We should not be wiped out. Our history would not come to an end. We might not even have to die as individuals. ...

Being saturated and satiated with emotion and sensation, I went to bed and slept the sleep of the saved and thankful. - "The Grand Alliance", ch 12

Strong message follows.

Oughtsix
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sunray,

You may consider revising your post. If we arrived 4 years too late in WWI, that would mean your lot had lost the war already when we got there. This was most certainly not the case! Our Allies had fought valiantly, if as you stated, somewhat futilely. Our additional forces may or may not have been well trained, but our help certainly turned the tide.

The same may be said for WWII. And following your thought pattern our people may or may not been the best equipped or trained at first. BUT, it was most definitely our manufacturing capacity that armed not only our lot, but most of YOUR lot that enable all of us to win.

My only clue as to the third saving of the continent would be the cold war?

Believe me when I say this, the US is lucky to have such a good neighbor and ally on its border.

KC
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Sunray's just jealous because the Canadians have ever only gotten honorable mentions in the big international wars.It is true that they are splendid soldiers, but they will never get the starring role because no-one will ever invade Canada.It is just too cold and the beer is nasty. Hope you have a sense of humor ol' bean. BDJr

my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Sunray,
    Youre absolutely right!
    Canada USED TO BE quite a power and USED TO HAVE reason to be proud.
    Now we use your money as toilet paper and treat your sick for you since socialized medicine is such a raging success.
    And since you brought it up, yes the uranium might have come from Ontario, but nobody in Ontario had the smarts to figure out what to do with it, did they??

No offense intended of course, just my humble opinion, eh?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions!