In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Questions about Doberman's

mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is spun off from another thread where many of you recommended Dobermans as loyal protective dogs.

I currently have a male lab mix about 2 years old. He's a good alarm system when he hears something outside the house but I wouldn't rely on him for protection. If I were to get a Doberman should it be a onager or would another male be okay? Do Doberman's socialize well with other dogs?

Are Doberman's good with children? We will be having our first baby in March/ April.

Exactly how big of a back yard would a Doberman need? I have a pretty nice sized yard but it isn't huge by any means.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are excellent dogs. Very smart and dedicated. I had one many years ago that I got when she was 4 years old. From a terrible owner who would not take care of the dog. When I pulled up she was about to come thru a sliding glass window all upset and raising caine. I sat down on a lawn chair outside and told the owner to let her out. He did and the dog ran up to me. I sat still and she smelled around and laid down watching me. I called her over and petted the top of her head. Got up and opened the truck door and she jumped in. Owner bout lost it and couldn't believe that dog would do commands. I went back and paid him for the dog later.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Puppys have sharp teeth and are very playful, baby humans have soft skin and like to cry when they feel pain. [:D]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • 11thcanopy11thcanopy Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mohawk,

Regarding the Doberman breed.

If you do decide to purchase a pup please consider only buying one that has already had the ears trimmed. The tail and dewclaws should have been docked and trimmed when they were a only days old.

I would also consider a onager over a male. Seems they are less trouble even tho' you will be forced to deal with "heat" problems. When that happens board them at a kennel. Believe me, it is best for you and the dog.

Please don't take the following the wrong way...never hit or abuse
    any dog. It won't forget and could be a problem. The Doberman's that we owned were smart and learned what we wanted of them without hitting or choke chains.

Do not buy one if you do not have the time to spend training or the room to let it run.

One more thing, I prefer the black and tan over the red coated Dobies.

They are really a great breed.

11thcanopy
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Doberman make wonderful dogs.....if kids and dogs are raised together they are wonderful together..very devoted.

Why worry about he ears?...That is so flippin cruel...its only done for show...if the dog is to be a pet its not needed, as for the heat...get her fixed, unless of course you are planning to go into the breeding business...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    even though Dobermans are very intelligent dogs they can be dangerous
    around small children, because they have different instincts than a
    Labrador retriever.

My Doberman attacked my brother once because he snuck up on him while
    he was asleep and sniffed my Dobie's ear, he didnt recognize him and
    he immediatly jumped up and tried to attack my brother and bite his face, I was there to stop him from attacking more, he still has a scar on his face. Dobermans are extreamly defensive and protective
    thats why they make such good guard dogs, they have lightening fast
    reactions when it comes to defending themselves or protecting the owner. You need to be extra careful with children around a Dobe, especially if the Dobe doesnt know them very well.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive owned Dobermans most of my life,I have 3 German war dog breeds now that are adults all under 3yrs and one who is now 7 Months old.The German breed are much bigger and more muscular than your standard Doberman,and are hard to find at least here any way.I know either of the 3 adults would die for me or my wife and the 7 Month old seems like he will turn out well.I lost the last of my old Dogs a few months ago,it was like looseing your best friend as Sam had been here about 16yrs.As far as getting along well with other pets,if we take our time and introduce the new pet and show the dogs it belongs here they will except it.Ive owned many other breeds but never found such a companion as my Dobermans are.I can say sit and thats what they will do,I can say sick get and thats what they will do.Leana and Princess have been to obedience school,but Ive found I can do just as well with them at home.As far as trusting them around childrenNever its not worth the chance.When my nephews come they play and the dogs seem to love them but their never out of my sight.If friends come over that the dogs are used to I have to keep the dogs back until they come in and sit down.The dogs are fine but never take their eyes off of my guest,and if the guest were to stand up the dogs would probably eat them.So we usually make them stay outside when guest come.Their alot of responsibility but well worth it.You wont find a more loyal or smarter dog than the Doberman.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    quote:If you do decide to purchase a pup please consider only buying one that has already had the ears trimmed.

While cropping the ears to some may seem cruel and unnecessary talk to your vet about it. Some breeds will have more problems with their ears if you don't. Boxers and Dobermans tend to have more problems with ear infections if it is not done because of moisture build up inside the ear canal. Also when they shake their heads they have a tendancy to burst blood vessels in their ears. If this happens, and it often does, the blood will need to be drained and the ear monitered for infections and blood clots. I know its a pain in the backside cropping the ears but it isn't all for cosmetics.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4GodandCountry you are exactly right,tails due claws etc are done when their baby's.The ears really need to be cropped its better for them in the long run.But the vet would not do Doby's my youngest dog until he was 5 months old.He just got to take the molds that hold them up off.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have had Doberman's for over 30 years..... BEST DOG EVER!! They are Big BABYS, SMART! good with kids, and will do anything for you... Get a pup!!!![:D] They are an inside dog, Only bad thing is, they dont live long [:(] Avg. is about 9-10 years. We did have one that was 13 1/2....

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... NRA & Friends of the NRA
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am currently on my 4th doberman . they are great dogs !! this is the first one ive had since ive been married . i had my wife train her because i wanted it to be her dog . it worked out very well as they are best of friends . that dog would die for her , just as i planned .when i go hunting or out of town that dog knows she is on duty . yet is very friendly in everday life . i believe in the pecking order ,as long as your dog understands this it will be great with kids . its up to you to train any dog to let it know what and when you want it to do . i agree with canopy in smacking the dog . there are better ways to show the dog your not pleased .i also agree with rugster with trusting any dog around kids , its not worth the chance . keep an eye on things to be safe .

wrench
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    There is, without question, no better dog than a GOOD Dobie!
    I've had the pleasure of spoiling Dobies since I was a young man.
    My wife and I had one shortly after we got married and he was the best protector I could have asked for,,,, for my WIFE!
    All my wife had to do was holler "HELP JAKE,,,HELP MEEEE"!
    That dog would have broken down a door or torn through a wall to get to her!
    If I was in the room with her when he showed up, he would jump across her lap and fix his gaze on ME. If I made a move in her direction, he would physically take me to the ground (not hard for a 110 lb. dog) and make sure I had no opportunity to try anything "funny".
    As soon as she told him "it's OK Jake", he would swarm all over me, licking my face, hands or whatever he could do to ask my forgiveness.
    The dog truly loved me, but there was no doubt in his mind, or mine, that I was "second fiddle". I was expendable, my wife WAS NOT!
    If you get a male, expect him to favor your wife.
    If you choose a female, expect her to favor you.
    Not to say that they're not great with the whole family, they just have their "favorites".
    Jake was the only Dobie whose ears I didn't have cropped, and he had no trouble with them, but definitely have the tail cropped.
    When they get exited or happy, that tail is similar to a pool cue being swung around the room.
    It will literally bruise you, not to mention sweeping the coffee table or end table clear in one swipe.
    Get a good one, raise it as a family dog, and you'll never regret your choice.

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!