In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

are you an old fart?

7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
Feeling Old?Just in case you weren't feeling too today, this will certainly change things. Each yearthe staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puttogether a list to try to give the faculty a sense ofthe mindset of this year's incoming freshmen. Here's this year's list:The people who are starting college this fall across thenation were born in 1983.They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.Their lifetime has always included AIDS. Bottle caps have always been screw off and plastic.The CD was introduced the year they were born. They have always had an answering machine. They have always had cable. They cannot fathom not having a remote control. Jay Leno has always been on the Tonight Show. Popcorn has always been cooked in the microwave. They never took a swim and thought about Jaws. They can't imagine what hard contact lenses are They don't know who Mork was or where he was from. They never heard: "Where's the Beef?", "I'd walk a mile for a Camel", or "DE plane Boss, DE plane". They do not care who shot J. R. and have no idea who J. R. even is. Michael Jackson has always been white. McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.They don't have a clue how to use a typewriter. Do you feel old yet? Pass this on to the other old fogies in your life.
when all else fails........................

Comments

• Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well....I did it now!!!!I e-mailed this to Ms. Tideman at work. I guess age doesn't make one any smarter.I'll be sleeping on the couch tonight if anyone needs me.Tideman
    "Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tideman you should be old enough to know better
    PC=BS
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Heck I'm only 22 and I remember most of that stuff... and I still like to use typewriters.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a pretty smart orientation device. Makes *me* think, anyway. My kids like to remind me I was born in the last century. So were they, but they don't think that germane.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    "Michael Jackson has always been white."HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Now THAT'S funny.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    pops401pops401 Member Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was ready to jump right in on the post "are you an old fart?" YES!!Then I had to read the rest of it. Well, Im still an old fart.
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, make me feel old!
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i can remember the feeling when i realized that all the playboy centerfolds were younger than me. it kind of took the novelty out of it after "growing up"
    The world is full of sheep, run with the wolves and make 'em call ya daddy
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember my son saying "dad in the the olden days before television" etc. etc. yes i am an "old fart" but it is better than the alterative. Carl
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heard on the radio today that it's the 50th anniversry of the REMOTE. Damn, didn't realize it's been that long since I stood up!!
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple more things come to mind. They weren't born when STAR WARS came out.They've always had VCR, meaning they've never had to wait years for a favorite old movie to turn up on the late show. They've probably never had to send home movies in for processing.They weren't around when disco was raging in the nightclubs. They've never known the Beatles or the Stones except as middle-aged men. Not only is a "hippie" ancient history, they don't even remember polyester leisure suits.They never had to watch a black & white television, unless they've seen the little one for $20 at Radio Shack.And worst of all, there are now many women of dating age who are too young to date me...
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Being older than the president (last couple) is what got to me.
  • Options
    tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They've never seen a watch that runs without batteries; a full service gas station; a convience store where EVERYONE speaks English; a drive-in movie; bomb drills; an ice house; a car without air conditioning; a slide rule; a milk man; a soda jerk; the Fuzz; or prayed in school. God I feel GOOD!!!!Tideman
    "Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    So that's why my wife calls me that.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I distinctly remember eating McDonald's breakfast hotcakes at the age of 8 out of a Styrofoam container.
  • Options
    WEASEL-88WEASEL-88 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in school milk came in (glass) bottles, hey I'm only 51.
    Too Old To Fight,Too Lazy To Run!
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Car's without a/c... heck I remember cars without heaters.Dad even had a Caddy that didn't have a heater. go figure.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I'm not as seasoned as some of you "old farts", I can still remember when I got my first powerful computer; a Commodore 64. I've got more processing power in my cell phone today!Also, when I was a kid my mom took me to McDonalds for a birthday party. I remember one of the activities for the kids was to stack up a bunch of empty styrofoam containers. I also remember McDonalds running a promotion where you'd get a little scratch off card, and if our atheletes won an Olymipic Gold Medal in the event you had on your card you'd get a free Big Mac. For silver and bronze there were also food prizes. Well, at the party one of the McDonalds employees gave me and my friends about 200-300 of those little cards. And, our atheltes won gold in almost every event. Needless to say, I had about 100 Big Macs in my dad's freezer that year!
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seasoned?How does one become seasoned,? Its like class, You either got it or you don't.I thankful for the word processing programs, I still remember typing documents with 7 to 10 copies all with "carbo paper", and a mistake meant you had to go back and correct every page, or start all over.I wonder how we got along without copiers before they came along.[This message has been edited by turbo (edited 01-31-2002).]