In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

thoughts on teaching

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
This is my career--at least until the end of this year--but I'm also taking a class at the local college. Interesting to be on the other side of the desk to say the least. I find myself realizing that there is nothing better than a good teacher, and nothing worse than a bad one. I've been in classes where the instructor is so good you get the immediate and unmistakeable feeling that you're in the hands of an old pro, someone who knows exactly what he or she is doing and can do it very well. I've also been in classes where the teacher has no idea how to convey the information, build interest, explain difficult concepts, or run the classroom. And EVERY SINGLE TIME it's an awful feeling. Lots of people in our school system are starting over, leaving careers and getting a shake-and-bake masters in teaching. Some are good, but by and large they lack the good skills that only come with five and six years of experience. Sadly, five or six years is about the length of the average teaching career. As a SPED teacher, I hop from class to class and work with many different teachers. It's a terrible feeling when you see a class going nowhere, and you know the kids will sure not be getting much out of that year.With that in mind, I'm off to my class.

Comments

• Options
    Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHEN I WAS IN THE NAVY THEY HAD A SCHOOL JUST FOR TEACHING AND A DEGREE MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHEN IT COMES TO TEACHING IE JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW SOMETHING DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN TEACH SOMEONE ELSE
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I had a bad 2nd grade teacher,I hid under the porch every day for at least two months,instead of going to school.Then when I grew up I found out that her husband had moved off to one of the Ten Thousand Islands(SW Flarda),to be become a hermit.Needles to say I had to repeat,and this was the first of a long list of problems throughout a very short and misserable stretch a student..218
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang in there mlincoln, I agree there are better teacher than others, but I learned a long time ago to try an be the best I can be and try to live with the others. What good does it do to constantly bang you head against the wall about what others do that you have no control over, this is generally from my experience the ones that get the promotions (screw up move up)
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    218 b-were you the biggest kid in the 2nd grade for more than 1 year? lol
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    barto,kinda..ya see,ol`point two eighteen was already sorta big to begin with!Pretty funny to look back on though,thanks..218
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Kalifornia, most teachers seem to be militant.They and their unions, are the ones spearheading the anti feelings for educational vouchers.As long as their agenda is pushed along by administrators, they are happy, but watch out if you differ with their views.Most of them admit parents are incapable of teaching their own children.It's sad but in some cases they are right.I am for giving back the power of how and who should educate their children back to the parents, on the other hand parents need to take the initiative and be involved in their childs education needs especially in their formative years.