In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun dealer's tip leads to arrest

Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
Gun dealer's tip leads to arrest 2001-12-13By Joseph B. FrazierAssociated Press WriterPORTLAND, Ore. -- The search warrant that led to the arrest of a Lebanese native with terrorist training was issued on the basis of four felony convictions and his owning and trying to buy firearms, federal court documents show. A Tigard gun dealer tipped authorities after Ali Khaled Steitiye allegedly gave false information and refused to return a purchase application form. Steitiye, 39, was arrested early on the morning of Oct. 24 at his Beaverton apartment after agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms searched it and his vehicles, according to an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court. It is illegal for a convicted felon to possess a firearm or make a false statement to a dealer when attempting to buy one. The ATF affidavit contends Steitiye did both. Federal agents confiscated weapons, ammunition, computers, computer discs and components, documents and other material. They found $20,000 in cash in bundles of $2,000. Steitiye was convicted in 1984 in Tulsa, OK, on felony counts of larceny and jumping bond and in 1986 in Oregon for forgery of a federal Treasury check and obstruction of correspondence, court documents show. He has been indicted by a federal grand jury and is to be arraigned this afternoon. Investigators say Steitiye told them he had received training at guerrilla camps in Lebanon. During the search of Steitiye's apartment, police found a plaque bearing the word "Hamas," a terrorist group that has been conducting suicide bombings in Israel. His attorney, Dennis Balsky, said Wednesday his client will plead innocent to charges of making a false statement on a firearms application and to an amended indictment of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Steitiye has not been charged with any terrorist activity. The affidavit said he carried a 9mm pistol and had a 7.62mm rifle when arrested. http://www.newsok.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=796339

Comments

• Options
    COWBOYKIDDCOWBOYKIDD Member Posts: 239
    edited November -1
    Im not a police officer nor would I want to be one... No Thankyou... Too many crazy people out there to say the least. But I couldnt believe it when the cheif of Portland police stated a week or so ago that it violated Oregon law to meet and question people because of a couple questions and how they were worded.Made me feel like geez I live in the only state where a city wont comply. Then they arrested the guy. The Cheif of police called a news conference that night. Sorry but it made me think he was trying to save face. Scarry to think you might have a terrorist in your own backyard. Said they found a 9 and a rifle and 1000rds of ammo in his vehicle. Yeah and whats with the 20,000 in cash? Gives me another reason to spend a couple more hours at the reloading bench.Kidd
    Wheel guns Rule but Machine-guns Rock-N-Roll
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This guy is no doubt was here illegally, I thought they deported people that broke laws, while here on a visa.Obviously not.