In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

religious fundamentalism

weemsfweemsf Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Though there are much more serious discussions ongoing itoday, the misuse of this term bothers me. I am a Baptist pastor and have called myself a fundmentalist over 20 years. The term fundmanetlaist in our country has always meant someone who was extremely conservative, usually both religiously and politically. Now the news media has co-opted another perfectly good term and made it into something it never meant. Extremist and terrorist they are in Bin Laden's camp, fundamentalist no!Just in case you would like to know, there are thousands of conservative, yes even fundamentalist, Christians out here who love our country, obey its laws, and are ready to lay down our lives for its freedom. We are anti-liberal and vote that way consistently.Thanks for letting me say my piece. Pray for America, our men and women in uniform, and our President.
Baptist pastor and patriotic AmericanLover of God and Country[This message has been edited by weemsf (edited 09-29-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, at one time "gay" meant you were happy, "gun control" meant you used both hands, and "conservative" didn't mean you laughed as you starved old people and kids to make an extra dime. I hate what the news media has done to our language. I still call 'em black and Indian, and I want to put a rainbow on my car w/o having guys blow kisses at me.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,976 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But .250, based on your postscript don't you have to defend my right to blow kisses at you?
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Preach,I agree. I am a fundamentalist through and through. I believe in the fundamentals of freedom...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I believe in the fundamentals of citizenship. I believe in the fundamentals of Christianity. If that makes me a religous fundamentalist, well then, I must be.Redleg
    Crush your enemies, drive their horses before you, hear the lamentation of their women.--Genghis Khan
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe along with the war in the middle east, we should just go ahead and declare all the news people terrorist and kill them too. Just kidding...
  • Options
    Homer J SimpsonHomer J Simpson Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My litmus test for 'fundamentalism' is if they claim that everybody is going to hell, except them.
  • Options
    .250Savage.250Savage Member Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog, never said you couldn't (hope you won't, unless your handle isn't accurate), just wish the gays hadn't stolen the rainbow. It used to mean you loved beauty and such things. Now it's a way for them "funny fellers" to meet each other.
    I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.--Voltare
  • Options
    weemsfweemsf Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Homer, I have always thought cults thought they were the only people who had the truth. Though I am Baptist, I expect to see people in heaven who have never seen the inside of a Baptist church.
    Baptist pastor and patriotic AmericanLover of God and Country
  • Options
    Krag96Krag96 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are 5 fundaments to life: "breathing" "eating" "drinking" "vacating waste", and the other is seldom used on this board, but I'll include it for laughs, "thinking",
  • Options
    turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thinking Critically will get you there...