In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

garage door openers???

mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I went to Home Depot and Sears today comparing Genie and Sears garage door openers. I'm leaning towards the Genie. It is a screw drive system that has a lifetime warranty and one keypad can work doors. Anyone have any experiences with Genie???? Good or bad....

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I built my new home years ago I bought a Genie. Screw type is much better than chain drive.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Genie that is probably twenty years old. I got it from my Mom's garage when she moved. Had to replace the receiver box and the remotes once. Not bad for an unit that works about everyday!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We bought the Craftsman and had trouble right away with the key pad operaters or the chain drive period I guess you would say.We called Sears and they came back and fixed it and the have worked right ever since,and we have the heavy Insulated Doors.I cant say anything about the other brand.Dont know anything about them.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Made me look. My Sears is a screw drive. Only problem I've had with it so far was the light that stops & reverses the door got slighly maladjusted & the door would not close. (It was fooled into thinking there was something blocking the light.) Had to disengage it & work it by hand until the repairman came out. The thing I like about Sears is that you know they will carry parts & be able to repair it for a long, long time from now.
  • jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the genie and it works great. The only thing I don't like about is what seems to me to be excessive noise. Other than that its great. You can easily change the code and purchase extra remotes if you need them also.

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I've owned both and the screw drive is definately the way to go IMHO.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I installed a Genie Whisper Drive with the worm drive on a 16' wood door. It has worked flawlessely for the last 2 years and handles that heavy old door with no problem. I would buy another in a flash.
  • mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'm going with the Genie today. Probably the Excelerator, supposed to be the quietest one. I had heard that the more rigid the mounting the quieter it will be. I will borrow some steel from the machine shop I work at. Thanks for the input...
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Garadge door openers are nice but I would be wary.It is my understanding that certain criminal elements in our society randomly drive through neighboorhoods with a hand full of lost ,stolen....who knows where they get them,garadge door openers,seeing which doors they will activate.You know there are only so many frequencies programmed into those things.Now I know alot of them have the bianary dip switch's in the transmitter and reciever.There are also other devices out there that criminals can get their grubby hands on...like certain types of frequency generators that can run through the whole lot of garadge door frequencies, which is a fairly narrow band...kinda like the ones that control remote controlled toys.

There may be alot of security features being added to them now days,I don't know.It would be something that I would consider if I was to buy one though.
    As far as to the type of drive I would choose,it would be the screw drive.

Muggster
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had two Moore-O-Matics garage door openers since 1991 and the only problem I have had out of either is the light quite working in one of them. They are chain drive and if you keep them oiled are pretty quiet. I like them to make a little noise as I can tell when the wife gets home. If the springs are adjusted right you can take one finger and open the door, so any garage door opener should work.
  • mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My thought on crooks is they can always get in...House is only siding, insulation, OSB, and drywall. My house is about a half mile from a gun club on the side of a mountain with only two neighbors. It would be a risk to get to my house but once they would reach it, burgler would have time...Also am putting in a security system...getting in is only half the battle...getting out can be more difficult[}:)][:D]