In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Victory is ours.

65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
S397 (protection of lawful commerce in arms act) passed out of the senate with 65 "ayes". I guess all that if left is Bush to sign it into law.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't they have to reconcile it with the House version first and come up with a compromise bill that is then sent to the President?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Probably; However it is a step in the right direction.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Agreed. I think the House passed their version a while back, so S.397 would just have to be reconciled with their already passed bill.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were there any McCain or Feinstein, etc. amendments added to it? Or was it a straight up & down as originally written? Anyone know?

To answer my question, looking at the Senate web site, it doesn't appear it was polluted with leftist BS. It also looks like several dims could see the writing on the wall and voted for it to cover their butts with their constituents.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Apparently one amendment was added, that requires a gun lock or other safety device, lock box, safe, etc., be sold with every hand gun. But according to the NRA's website there is no accompanying requirement for people mandating the actual use of such locks, etc. and there is no liability for not using the locks (other than those states that already have laws that hold you liable for not using a lock and having a child get a hold of your gun like here in Kommiefornia). Dealers have to sell one with every hand gun. Since most dealers do already, the NRA considers it a non-issue. All other amendments were rejected.

Here's a link to the NRA website showing the victory statement.

http://www.nraila.org/
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    So does this mean all the firearm manufacturers can now fire their lawyers and the price of firearms will drop?[8D][:o)]

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    No, but it means the lefties will try to find some other way to try to back their nonsense in, since they can't win at the ballot box.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why does the NRA say they had to have 60 votes to pass this? 50 plus Cheney should have been enough? I can just see flaming leftist droolers like Reid claiming to support the RKBA on the basis of this vote . . . [V][V][V][V]

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    AZ9JAZ9J Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A couple of passages from S.397 that I found interesting.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS; PURPOSES.
    1. (a) Findings- Congress finds the following:
    (1) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    (2) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the rights of individuals, including those who are not members of a militia or engaged in military service or training, to keep and bear arms.

(b) Purposes- The purposes of this Act are as follows:
    1. (1) To prohibit causes of action against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and importers of firearms or ammunition products, and their trade associations, for the harm solely caused by the criminal or unlawful misuse of firearm products or ammunition products by others when the product functioned as designed and intended.
    (2) To preserve a citizen's access to a supply of firearms and ammunition for all lawful purposes, including hunting, self-defense, collecting, and competitive or recreational shooting.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:AZ9J Posted - 07/29/2005 : 11:06:48 PM
    A couple of passages from S.397 that I found interesting.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS; PURPOSES.
    1. (a) Findings- Congress finds the following:
    (1) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution provides that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    (2) The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the rights of individuals, including those who are not members of a militia or engaged in military service or training, to keep and bear arms.Interesting..? You bet. The Congress established some points here. "Not members of a militia or engaged in military..ect....They didn't mention the Unorganized Militia..that great body of people codified in LAW..yet villified by nearly every politican serving....

quote:(2) To preserve a citizen's access to a supply of firearms and ammunition for all lawful purposes, including hunting, self-defense, collecting, and competitive or recreational shooting.
    Yet again..no mention of the PRIMARY REASON for the Second Amendment at all.....of the list above.."Self defense" is the only Second Amendment issue addressed..and the PRIMARY reason is ignored.....and these shuckers and jivers make me want to vomit..."Affirming the Right to Keep and Bear Arms"..I prefer Shumer/Fiendstein. At least they are HONEST in their desire to destroy America...
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about the expansion definition of armor piercing
    ammo amendment?[:(!]

Lifetime shooter - please speak louder.
    -
    Retired, hopefully for good this time!
    -
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bama55
    What about the expansion definition of armor piercing
    ammo amendment?[:(!]

Lifetime shooter - please speak louder.
    -
    Retired, hopefully for good this time!
    -
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."

From what I heard, that bill increases the penalties of current laws, it does not expand them.

If you are refering to the proposed kennedy amendment, that was defeated earlier today. The kennedy armor piercing ban would include just about any bullet including the ones in hunting rifles on the ban. Which is bogus and just another gun ban attempt. We all know most police officiers including SWAT wear level III (3) or level IV (4) trauma plates. I have read the stopping power of the level IV (4) trauma plates and must say it is impressive. While you may suffer loss of breath and or a couple broken ribs from it you will not die. The trauma plate in question can stop a .30-06 armor piercing bullet. It is usually made out of ceramic armor with kevlar backing to help reduce spall. WOW!!!

Yes the bill amendment was struck down as I said, and obviously kennedy did not mention it, but I was suprised the senator from the other side did not mention it either to try and further counter his(kennedy's) arguement.

- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the GOA

Senate Passes Gun Control Amidst Protection For Gun Makers
    -- Now the House has to clean up the Senate's mess

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
    Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408
    http://www.gunowners.org

Friday evening, July 29, 2005

The U.S. Senate passed legislation (S. 397) protecting the gun industry from frivolous lawsuits by a vote of 65-31 this afternoon.

It should have been a joyous occasion for the entire gun community. But just when it seemed that the majority party was about to deal a knockout blow, the Republican leadership dropped their gloves and allowed anti-gun Democrats to land a hard uppercut on the chin.

As a result of that lack of resolve, America will be saddled with mandatory trigger locks unless the House of Representatives acts in a more responsible manner.

True, the underlying bill is significant legislation, supported by GOA, which will help the firearms industry defend itself from the slew of frivolous lawsuits you've been hearing about for years. It's not great protection, but it's a nice first step.

However, "nice first step" should never be an excuse for the passage of more gun control. By the way, you will no doubt be reading news reports touting the bill as a great victory for gun owners, while dismissing the trigger lock amendment as "minor." Wrong, and more on that later.

But first: how did this thing blow up in our faces?

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD, THEN IT WENT BAD

Remember that Gun Owners of America had asked its members and activists to lobby Majority Leader Bill Frist to use whatever means possible to block anti-gun amendments? At first, his office had been telling us this couldn't be done.

Frist's office told us there was no Senate rule allowing the majority party to block bad amendments.

But after GOA members and activists applied the heat, Frist took another look. He then used parliamentary rules to "fill the amendment tree," which is exactly what we asked him to do. "Filling the amendment tree" is a technical term which explains how the majority party can offer amendments in such a way as to block the minority party from offering other amendments.

So far so good. But then... Frist blinked. You see, there were a handful of "moderate" Democrats, mainly from pro-gun states, who had cosponsored the original bill -- enough to make the measure filibuster-proof. Fearing that the other side would get those guys to bolt from the bill, Frist caved and allowed people like decidedly anti-gun Senator Herb Kohl to offer amendments.

Frist should have stood firm and let any rats jumping ship go home and explain to their constituents why they didn't support needed tort reform.

But he did not, and the trigger lock amendment passed. Those who think it's no big deal will tell you that even though the provision requires gun dealers to include the sale of a "lock-up-your-safety" device with every handgun sold, there are no penalties for the gun owner if he or she does not use the trigger lock. Right. NOT YET.

Remember seat belts? First they had to be installed in every new car sold. Then, it became mandatory that you wear them. You can almost hear the debate in the next Congress: "It does no good to provide trigger locking devices if gun owners aren't required to use them. We need to punish any gun owner who fails to lock up his or her handgun!"

Remember also that some us don't like a "tax" on the price of our next gun, which we have to pay to get a piece of equipment we know can endanger our lives should we install it.

IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE

At least your hard work convinced Frist to fill the tree in the first place. Otherwise, any anti-gun Senator could have added anything including the word "firearm" and who knows what we would have ended up with. It's an utter shame that Frist lost his nerve right when total victory was in our grasp.

Even worse, perhaps, 70 Senators went along with the trigger lock amendment when they could just as easily have voted "No" and passed a clean bill thereafter. Were your Senators among those who need to be spanked for toying with your rights? Go to http://www.gunowners.org/cgv.htm for a complete run-down of the trigger locks vote.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

The bill now moves to the House. Some pro-gun spokesmen have been promising that the trigger lock amendment can be stripped out in a conference committee. As mentioned in a previous alert, this is a dangerous strategy which frequently does NOT work -- such as when we got stuck with the Feinstein semi-auto ban in 1993-94 and the Incumbent Protection Act in 2002.

Actually, a clean bill already exists in the House. Why not pass that one? Congress is in recess during August. But the back-room deals are certain to continue inside the Beltway.

To counter those expected compromises, GOA will need your help at specific times over the remainder of the summer. Please stay tuned... gun owners will need to pressure their Representatives with one simple message: a vote for ANY bill, should it contain new gun control, is NOT something we're prepared to swallow without a fight.

The gene pool needs chlorine.