In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CCW Rules Unclear

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
If a business, mall, etc. prohibits carrying concealed in their establishment are there any stated rules for how they have to post it (where, how big, etc)? I'm just starting to carry and have been keeping an eye out for places I can't take my gun. Noticed a movie theater with no sign at the front entrance. But when I saw guards checking people with wands I looked around and found a "no weapons" sign off in an obscure corner out of plain view.

Comments

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one knows? Or is it a stupid question?
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    Depends on where you are.

In Texas, the sign must be of a certain size, with VERY specific wording, in English and Spanish, and be conspicuously placed, to be enforceable.

The smallest it is possible to make the sign is 22" by 17."

I have seen very few legal signs.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a while since I read about that here, but I think the wording only mentioned the sign had to be in a conspicous location (wherever that is).

I've tried to just not go places that have these signs once I figured them out. Of course I still have to go to banks and the post office occasionally, but that's about it - all the rest have lost my business.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: CCW Rules Unclear

That shouldn't be! When you took whatever requirements needed to get your license, they should have made sure you clearly understood the rules. That is why it is important to find a reputable, knowlegable instructor...who won't necessarily be the cheapest, when you take the required courses.

Instructors who "skim" over the material then present you with the certificate are doing you no favors. Your lack of understanding could get you in big trouble.

My humble opinion,
    Rafter-S
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I'm not mistaken, all they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you're trespassing. I pretty much ignore the things. Unless you're REALLY clumsy and flash your weapon, who's gonna' know?
    Hence the term CONCEALED.
    The only places I don't take Mr. Colt are the ones that are emphasized in the training course. ie. post office, court house, etc.
    Funny thing....here in WV, you can take your gun into the sheriff's office but not into the state police office.

Mudge the law abiding [;)]

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
    edited November -1
    Rafter, I do think my instructor did a thorough job -- made it very clear where you cannot carry. I didn't think to ask about posting requirements at the time. I have read the Code of VA sections on CCW several times and see no mention of this -- just states that you can't carry in a place that prohibits it. Doesn't mention HOW a business must forbid it. You'd think they'd have to have a fairly large posting right on the front entrance.
    edited November -1
    DBV,

If you are still unclear about any aspect of the laws on carrying, I suggest you contact your instructor and ask him. It is to his benefit, as well as yours, that you thoroughly understand the process.

Here in Texas, the classroom work to get the certificate (to apply for the license) is rigerous, if done right. And there are written tests that must be passed. One of the items we covered was posting regulations...which was on the test.

Personally, I tried to learn the material well enough to teach the course if need be. A screwup here in Texas and you lose your license...and possibly face charges.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S
    edited November -1
    Rafter, I think I like y'alls way better. If people are going to be carrying they should have a thorough knowledge of the rules. I went to my class ready to take lots of notes and get everything down. It lasted about 2 hours and included VERY basic safety, lengthy discussion on what type/caliber gun to get, and an overview of the law. We fired 12 rounds just to show we could actually load and fire a gun without killing ourselves. From what I hear it was one of the better courses, though. Depending on locality a course may not even be required in VA. Lots of guys just go down to the courthouse in uniform and that's all it takes. In retrospect I should have just done that myself and saved $35. Reading the law myself was much more helpful.
    edited November -1
    DBV,

Here in Texas the classroom work takes a very long day. Then the test. Afterwards, we must qualify on the range. This consists of shooting a ceertain number of rounds in a certain time period. Not rapid fire, but definetly not slow fire either. We have to shoot a certain score to pass. The purpose is to know the license holder can hit his/her target...and not spray the neighborhood.

Anyone who has the Texas Concealed Hundgun license is a skilled handgun shooter as well as model citizen. That is comforting to know.

Rafter-S
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way anyone should know you're carrying concealed is if you shoot somebody in thier store, if they ask you to leave you'll know not to do it next time you shop there.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    The only way anyone should know you're carrying concealed is if you shoot somebody in thier store, if they ask you to leave you'll know not to do it next time you shop there.

OR, somehow someone notices I am carrying (one way or another) and calls the police and I am in violation of the law and never get to carry again. Just want to get it straight and do it right. Seems like the law is clear that it is illegal to carry in a store that prohibits it, but not clear on how the store has to display that prohibition. Unfortunately I'd bet any ambiguity would go against the one carrying the gun. Maybe I'm making too much out of it.....but maybe not.
    edited November -1
    Quote: Maybe I'm making too much out of it.....but maybe not.

I don't think you're making too much out of it. Carring a concealed handgun entails awesome responsibility. You need to know the laws and regulations in detail. I'm glad to see you concerned about it--it speaks highly of you.

Rafter-S
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rafter. I'll have to call around this week and see if I can figure this out. Just got done checking packing.org but couldn't find anything. Lot of good info there though. Anyhow, I'll post what I find out in case anybody else in VA is wondering.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I completely ignore the signs.

They checked you with a wand to go see a MOVIE?????

I think I'd find a new pitcher shew place.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    edited November -1
    Doug, Yep, they just opened a huge new theater here and had two security guards wanding everyone coming through -- at an afternoon showing during the week. There were only 6 people in the movie I went to.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    go to www.packing.org

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."

NRA Life Member
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still can not get over them "wanding" you to see a MOVIE.

The gene pool needs chlorine.