In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rewarded for Energy Conservation

Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
With me not being able to work and our living more on the "fixed" income I decided to try and winterize the old homstead to save on the utilities, especially the Winter ones.

Well it sure was money well spent, we've had a run of pretty cold weather here and I just got my natural gas bill. I managed to reduce consumption by 3mcf during colder weather, now that's sumpin' right?

My reward for this ...

The bill was $96+ more than last year when I had the higher consumption[:(!]

People here are a little upset w/ our gas company and when asked the gas company replied that this years costs are making up for supply contracts that were not "favorable". Boy, it is great to be a public utility and be basically guaranteed a good rate of return, no matter how stupidly you conduct your business.

Now the elect utility ... you may remember those people that brought romance to a great part of the mid-west and east coast by turning off the lights last year ... yep them people. Now they are pushing our public utilities commission to establish a yearly bidding contest for supplying electricity in the "deregulated" market. Of course if there is only one bid ... from the "Lights Aren't Us" electric company I imagine the cost will zip right up there ...

Any way, run right out and do all you can to conserve, that way supplies will stay plentiful while prices go through the roof.

How's your utility companies?
[V]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I know exactly where your coming from. There are only two of us here, have two bedrooms closed off and the vents in the rec room partially shut. I added insulation this past summer and my gas bill has increased by $120 give or take a few bucks each month.
    We have been using a small electric heater and taking it room to room with us, that has helped. I guess our Electric is a bit easier on the pocket book compared to the gas company.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Do you live in Colorado? Last year +70% increase due to "supply" problems. Then announced that supply is fine. This year +70% increase again because of, you guessed it, "supply" problems. And again announced, supply is fine. Go figure. I thought monopoly's were illegal in America, but I guess Colorado is the exception cause we only got one choice, unless not having energy is a choice, then we have two.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    My last gas bill was under $40, but had a fuel surcharge added in that brought it up to $175. OUTRAGEOUS.

I told TXU I was going to get a propane tank.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in Colorado too.
    Yup, 50-70% increase in cost this year, using the same amount. [:(!]

The gene pool needs chlorine.