In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hernia!?!?!?

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am 26 years old, in good health. I think I may be getting a hernia though, I work alone mostly and have been told that I try to lift too much, etc.. Anyone with experience that can tell me anything about Hernias. What should I look for, is it dangerous to not get it fixed, etc.? I do not have health insurance and really dont want to go to a doctor. I know I will probably end up going to one sooner or later though.

I know this is a personal kind of question. Just didnt know who else to ask besides going to the doctor.

If you could even just point me to a good reference page on the web.

Thank You

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.healthcentral.com
    Thought I had one comming on last week, turned out to be gas. I know it sounds funny, but it is a good thing to get checked.

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Depends on the Hernia, some can be quite dangerous, a section of intestine could fall through a break, and strangle it, causing ya mucho problems, I had the double operation when I was a kid. It hadnt gotten too bad, but the doctor said fix it before it did get bad..

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    If it is high up in your abdomen, you should be able to feel it as a swelling and it may be tender to the touch. I don't know about ones that are "lower". Chances are if you feel like you have one and the pain or soreness doesn't go away in a few days, then you do, in fact, have one. Not getting it repaired means you risk having it burst and then you are in big trouble from infection. I understand and sympathize with your dilemma re: healthcare. I was fortunate to have health insurance at the time (14 yrs ago)when I had the hernia experience. Good Luck.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    When I had my two around age 30 I had no pain, which confused the doc's. I just had 2 golf ball sized bumps below my waistband area. The doc could also tell I had them when he did his check. My insurance paid for 80% of it I think the total was around $10,000 this was 6 years ago.

I was keep over night and then was not to drive for a week. Then light duty for 30 days.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My doctor says it is from too much *...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would explain the hairy palms.[:0]

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help everybody. Using the link, I was able to determine that I do have a hernia (doctor opinion needed though). Now to try and figure out how to pay for everything. It is small and I may be able to push off surgery till next fall when I have a little money.

I will probably go to a doctor to get his opinion within a month and an estimate. I hate getting old.[:(]

RUGER.jpg

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it. If the doctor starts talking about putting the "mesh" in. Do not do it unless there is no other choice. It seeps and can cause problems later. Never really heals right, unless there has been a breakthrough that I do not know about. They can be successfully repaired. Good luck.
    At 26 you ain't seen nothing yet.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger, one other option is to get supplimental insurance BEFORE going to the doctor. Then go to the doctor and if you have to have anything done it'll be covered. However, if you go first then it'll be a pre-existing condition.

I can also recommend (for what it's worth) for you to get and keep health insurance. I had back surgery when I was 24 and again when I was 29 and even with my health insurance I ended up going bankrupt paying for my portion of the medical bills along with the loss of income. I know at your age it seems like health insurance is a waste of money but problems can hit you suddenly. Think about it buddy...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    aflac !!! Strain from lifting or alot of horse-play could cause this. I had a hernia at the age of 4. Small scar. At your age if it is a hernia it will be a long scar. Do your homework. Check the web sites and dial ask a nurse or web MD. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Ruger, one other option is to get supplimental insurance BEFORE going to the doctor. Then go to the doctor and if you have to have anything done it'll be covered. However, if you go first then it'll be a pre-existing condition.

Good advice. Better to pay 20% or so, than 100%.

The gene pool needs chlorine.