In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Here's a sad one that a concealed carry helped in

BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Mishawaka girl dies after being hit by car while crossing street with sister

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/44567252.html

A Mishawaka girl is killed while crossing the street, holding on to her older sister's hand.

4-year-old Shyla Aston died Friday and her 6-year-old sister is in serious condition recovering at Memorial Hospital.

The two were hit and run over by a car Thursday night in a Mishawaka neighborhood. They were crossing the intersection at Dodge and 11th Street.

Just after 7 o'clock Thursday night the two were crossing the street hand-in-hand while walking to a friend's house.

"You never saw one without the other... you never one without the other. The big sister was always holding the little sister's hand wherever they went to," says neighbor April Davis.

A car hit both of the girls running them over. The driver, 56-year-old Leroy Hoover, was heading westbound on Dodge when the accident happened. Police have yet to say whether Hoover was speeding. The Fatal Alcohol Crash Team is investigating. No word on whether or not alcohol or drugs were involved either.

A witness says a driver tried to flee but a neighbor held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

"He hit the gas and was attempting to flee the scene and that's when I jumped out in front and stopped him at gunpoint, took his keys from him, and told him he wasn't going anywhere," explains Alan Knepp. Knepp legally carries his gun with him at all times along with his permit.

"I actually just saw the impact and I knew something bad happened and it just turned my stomach," says neighbor Nate Sappington.

Several witnesses say speed was a factor and the girls looked both ways before crossing the street. No one has been arrested while an investigation continues.

The older sister is a kindergartner at Emmons Elementary. Counselors were available Friday for students.

Comments