In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATV not for kids?

concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My daughter decided that she was going to go for a ride on daddy's ATV the other day. She got her hat and boots on and even put her backpack on. When she came into the garage she said she wanted to ride; so I put her on the bike! I think it'll be a couple of years before I let her ride, though! [:D]

site1036.jpg

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security

Comments

• jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These things are a lot of fun, but extremely dangerious. A co-worker recked on a Honda 300 last year and done $80,000.00 worth of damage to his face. When he came back to work after six weeks of recovery he resembled his old self very little. He broke his jaw, nose, eye socket, fractured his skull and knocked out three teeth. He showed me his xrays and they wired his face back piece by piece with the wiring staying there the rest of his life. When it is cold weather his sinuses are mess up and his face aches all over.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree with that, jlrent. This one is a 400cc and it will go about 70 MPH! I already wrecked it once trying to jump an ice berm on a frozen lake near my house. I am always conscious of the danger and I try to ride within my limitations but it only takes a second to misjudge an obstacle or lose control.

Anyway, I thought the photo was cute!

G36

p.s. I wish your buddy the best of luck; that must be awful.

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    concealedG36,

Like anything else in life, ATV's can be dangerous (we all know that though). I actually lost a friend of mine over the summer in an ATV accident. He had all of his gear on too. I know he would want me to keep riding regardless of his accident and I still do. If it makes you happy...DO IT. I've had countless years of enjoyment with Motorcycles and ATV's. I'll never give them up.

As for kids, that's a tough call. Some want to be overprotective and not let their kids do anything dangerous. I think that has a long term affect on kids. Educate yourself and the kids on the subject before you turn them loose and say your prayers. It's a calculated risk, but you gotta let your kids live a little in my opinion.

Oh yea, that's a sweet 400! Cute pilot too!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    ConcealedG36 get that cute little girl a Suzki would ya!!! kidding, very nice 400ex you got there.

Dangerous, yes, but what sport isn't? Everyone's gotta be cautious on everything. Can't single out 4-wheelers just like you can't single out guns. I've been hurt and have had friends hurt on them, but have yet to see an accident caused by the 4-wheeler, only by the rider doing something dumb or beyond their ability.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    How many of us have ATV's? I got a Suzuki 500 4x4 and a LT250R Suzuki quadracer.
    Little lady thought I should get rid of the others...??? i didn't understand either..

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • IncarcerationFacilitatorIncarcerationFacilitator Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my son an E-Ton 40cc 4 wheeler when he was 3 years old. It has a throttle limiter and a cord that I can pull from the back to cut the engine. He's five now and he has learned alot from the bike; not only coordination, etc., but also resonsibility and respect for nature. Get her good safety gear, including a chest protector, and take her out. My wife and kids love riding, and it looks like your little one will too!
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    shes a cutie

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That little cutie you have there looks to be about the right size for a "co-pilot"
    Does she have a name? No, not the 4-wheeler.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my baby's
    IMG_0128.jpg

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    That little cutie you have there looks to be about the right size for a "co-pilot"
    Does she have a name? No, not the 4-wheeler.

Paige [:)]

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks [:D]