In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping Firearms Questions

KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
I need to send a couple long guns out of state. N.C. to IL. Can I legally send them to a FFL holder in IL? I have a copy of FFL from there. The buyers FFL will make the transfer, right? I just package them and go on down to the post office? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Knife:

As long as you ship to an FFL you are ok; what happens on his end is his problem. I recommend an ink signed copy of the FFL in possession, and checking the ATF site for the list of valid holders in case they have become un-licensed since the FFL was originaly issued. Print out the page and date checked. That way if it turns out the recipient wasn't actually licensed you can show you had every reason to believe he was, so no intent to violate the law.

I think only FFLs can use the USPS. You can check it out; call the PO (could get wrong info) or their site www.usps.gov. I use a local FFL to ship from because even with his fee added the USPS postage is cheaper, and I am still po'd at UPS, etc. because of their extortionist rates. Last long gun I shipped myself I used a local service and can't remember which shipper they used but think it was Fed Ex.

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do not have to have a FFL to ship a LONG gun, through the USPS, but you DO have to have one to ship a handgun. You must ship TO the address on the FFL, c/o the buyer.

Edited by - pickenup on 10/31/2002 11:50:03