In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

National Lampoon and the Freak brothers

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anybody remember this magazine?? I bought a milk carton full of them from the 70's and 80's I remember reading some of them when I was a kid. What a hoot. There was also some Fabulous Furry Freak Brother comics in them. Aw the good old days.

Comments

• JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Hester and Chester" was my favorite.

Never mind...

[:I]
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zippy the pin head....
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    "Hester and Chester" was my favorite.

Never mind...

[:I]

O.C. & Stiggs
    Foto Funnies
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    The only place I ever saw the FFF Bros was in High Times.

Maybe I'm thinking of another cartoon character.

The hazy memory should explain itself...
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    The Freak Brothers were in High Times. I loved those and MAD magazine too.
    Fat Feddie's Cat was my fav. Every time Fat Freddie would leave, the cat would crap in or on something of his.
    One of my Fav. MAD magazine comics was a spoof of the TV western "The Rifleman" (Which I will watch shortly).
    The hills surrounding Northfork were filled w/tombstones w/the inscription "Killed by Lucas McCain".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    The only place I ever saw the FFF Bros was in High Times.

Maybe I'm thinking of another cartoon character.

The hazy memory should explain itself...
    No in 70 the guy who wrote them formed Rip off press and republished all the old B&W strips in comic book form and started in with new color comic book style reight up until today
    edited November -1
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    No but I remember Cheech Wizard.

[8D]

Allen
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    The Fabulous Furry Freak brothers originated in a pulp comic called "Feds 'n' Heads." They also appeared in several other underground comics. I first saw them in Zap Comix, an underground comic during the sixties (one of my favs).

They had their own comic book for awhile, published by (I believe) an organization called the "Rip Off Press." Another of my personal favs was "Fat Freddie's Cat," one of the story lines in their comic.

There was a compilation of their escapades called "The Collected Adventures of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" that came out in the early seventies. A fairly bizarre collection of marijuana-related incidents.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zap comics were fantastic.

Captain P***gums and the Pervert Pirates
    The Checkered Demon

I laughed so hard reading those I would cry.
    If I had a scanner, I would post some of my old Zap comix on this forum, but, they are XX rated.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I still have four issues. Wonder Warthog, Fritz the Cat, Mr Natural, some of my favorites. [:D]
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I was always more a MAD and Cracked Magazine fan.

Spy vs. Spy
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    R.CRUMM [:D] Anyone ever see a copy of "DEVIANT SLICE"? Now THAT was a cool comic book!!
  • jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a big FFF brothers fan in high school, Gauduated in 1979.
    In study hall, I and my friends would constantly read them and pass around. Our American history teacher was a study hall monitor in my senior year, we got him reading them too. Occasionally you would hear him giggling as he read. Probably get you expelled today if you even had them at school. much less a teacher that could see the bizarre humor. What great memories. Thanks for bringing up Fat Freddie, Freewheelin Franklin, Pheanis Phreak ( SP ? ), and of course, Fat Freddie's cat!!
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    R. Crumb- and Vaughan Bode in the same posting!

Altho the FFF bros were good, does anyone remember Bonnie and Trots?
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Don't forget about Harold Hedd!
    My fave FFF quote,"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope".
    I loved the one where Fat Freddy was stuck in Mexico and only knew the phrase, "Una mas cerveza". Reminded me of the Freddy Fender tune of the same name.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I have all the Freak Brothers comics somewhere in boxes. I've also got the NatLampCo issue that has the Volkswagen/Ted Kennedy parody ad that got VW sued. "If Ted Kennedy Drove A Volkswagen, He Would Be President Today" "The Beetle does float, but like Mary Jo, it's only 99 and 44/100ths percent pure and it won't stay afloat forever, just long enough".[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    R. Crumb- and Vaughan Bode in the same posting!

Altho the FFF bros were good, does anyone remember Bonnie and Trots?
    Yes I have some in the National lampoon mags I got
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    I was always more a MAD and Cracked Magazine fan.

Spy vs. Spy

+20. First thing I'd turn to in MAD was Spy vs. Spy! Loved that comic!
    You guys would love my place. I have a shop in the Great American Flea Market in Tulsa. I sell ephemera (old books and magazines. Cracked , Mad, National Lampoon, comics, old American Rifleman, Pulp Magazines gun parts and accessories (they don't allow fireamrs to be sold[:(][;)]) my original art and old movie posters vintage toys and games
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever play the game?

FHgame-1.jpg

FHgame-2.jpg

FH.jpg