In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping fees

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
I am told by a bidder that I can ship a glock pistol via ups for under 35 dollars. Why is it that ups and fedex told me it will be like 70 dollars. Anyone know a cheaper way I can ship this firearm? The box weighs 5 pounds and ups/fedex said it must ship next day air. What if I ship this without telling the shipper there's a firearm in the package? I would save on shipping fees? but is it legal to do this?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i read these forums everyday but dont post very often, but i wanted to hear some feedback on something. the shipping fees on gunbroker seem like they are getting out of hand. i own a medium sized sporting goods store and i know that shipping a gun anywhere in the us cost between 12 and 20 bucks. i see on here shipping of 25, 35, 35 but they put it in a 8 dollar gun case, even 60 dollars. i realize sellers just think they are going to make extra money but i think it is ridiculous. i for one will not bid on anything that they charge more than 20 or 25 to ship. what are your guys opinions on this.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    some of those higher shipping charges are from non dealers and if you ship firearms as a non dealer it is expensive.
    If they are dealers charging more than 25.00 they are more than likely over charging.
    Of course I like free shipping best too[8D]

I just got raped for a 90.00 shipping charge and the package shipped was only billed 47.00.

What do you do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    why does it cost more if you are a non dealer. when we ship something at the post office they dont ask if im a dealer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    are you talking handguns or rifles?
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems like almost all shipping charges are now considered part of their profits. Flea Bay is a perfect example.

Best!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    you see a lot more of it on ebay.

I see items for a .01 Buy It Now

and a 30.00 shipping charge.
    I never see that kind of stuff going on at Gunbroker.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We do this "SHIPPING" bit about every two weeks. If are a ffl dealer and can use the USPS for hand guns $20.00 is enough. If you are not a ffl and must use UPS $40.00 is not enough.
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I simply avoid buying items if I feel the shipping is steep. No matter what, it depends on whether you really want or need the item. Consider your "top dollar" with shipping included.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stubnoid
    I simply avoid buying items if I feel the shipping is steep. No matter what, it depends on whether you really want or need the item. Consider your "top dollar" with shipping included.

LOL stop using common sense.

I have seen guys burn up 40.00 in Gasoline just so they wouldn't have to pay the ridiculous 30.00 shipping fee.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how much does it cost for a non-dealer to ship a handgun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mvp, what did you buy that the shipping was 47 dollars
  • Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MVP, I'm trying to quit. Really!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Insurance drives shipping costs up. It is a lot more expensive to ship a $2000 handgun versus a $500 gun. I charge $25 to ship and this barely covers the shipping and packing materials...let alone the time to box it up and ship it out.
  • Options
    jabronij3jabronij3 Member Posts: 4,686
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal

ups and fedex say they must ship overnite to deter theft and that is as much as 70 bucks although mffl uses ups and it's about 9-10 plus insurance and transfer fee-15 dollars so it boils down to the comman carriers don't want to do it for non-licensees, dhl says the firing pin and the gun must ship seperatly WTH
  • Options
    BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simple-consider the shipping costs in your bid !
  • Options
    glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Considering the ever increasing shipping, insurance, and packaging materials costs I don't see many that are much out of line.
  • Options
    davealddaveald Member Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy a gun for $250.00 and the shipper charges $25.00, and your ffl charges $25.00 then that gun cost $300.00 period, I take those associated costs into account when I bid.

My biggest gripe is NO RESERVE bidding start at $390.00/ buy it now for $400.00 If thats not a reserve what is it.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal

Since a non-dealer can NOT ship a handgun through the post office, the last time I called UPS to ship one, they quoted me that it would be "at least" $60.00.

I went to my FFL, paid her $20, and she shipped it through the post office for $15.00, total $35.00.